Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Transfering files from a dead computer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfering files from a dead computer...

Well, this house has been pretty bad for computers lately. Awhile ago, my father's computer had the power supply go out, taking the mobo with it. The other day, his roomate's computer had the mobo go out, but the thing was 7 years old (she still thought it could be fixed, it was running a pen. 3 processor @ 1.4 GHz, 256mb of memory, and a 40G HD.)

Anyways, after speaking with my brother, I decided it was cheaper, and easier just to buy two new computers off of the shelf, rather than build two computers. So, I found a HP Pavillion, with the Pentium Dual Core running at 2.2 GHz, 3G memory, 500 GB HD, etc. for $399, not bad I think. I set them both up last night, and here is my main question:

What is the easiest way to go about transfering files from the old HD's, providing they are still good? Can I simply plug the HD into the new computer using the IDE ports, and be able to switch between operating systems? And if I do that is there a way to send a file to the other HD?

One more thing, on one of the computers, in the bottom right screen of the monitor, it is saying that the copy of windows is NOT genuine, WTF?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Transfering files from a dead computer...

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Well, this house has been pretty bad for computers lately. Awhile ago, my father's computer had the power supply go out, taking the mobo with it. The other day, his roomate's computer had the mobo go out, but the thing was 7 years old (she still thought it could be fixed, it was running a pen. 3 processor @ 1.4 GHz, 256mb of memory, and a 40G HD.)

Anyways, after speaking with my brother, I decided it was cheaper, and easier just to buy two new computers off of the shelf, rather than build two computers. So, I found a HP Pavillion, with the Pentium Dual Core running at 2.2 GHz, 3G memory, 500 GB HD, etc. for $399, not bad I think. I set them both up last night, and here is my main question:

What is the easiest way to go about transfering files from the old HD's, providing they are still good? Can I simply plug the HD into the new computer using the IDE ports, and be able to switch between operating systems? And if I do that is there a way to send a file to the other HD?

One more thing, on one of the computers, in the bottom right screen of the monitor, it is saying that the copy of windows is NOT genuine, WTF?
The best and easiest way to transfer files is to purchase an external IDE/SATA USB connector, and this will allow you to plug in any harddrive via USB. It doesnt require opening a case, and you can do this with any harddrive.

However, since you bought a new computer, chances are all the drives are SATA connectors, not IDE. You might get lucky and have your CD-ROM drives be IDE, but I doubt it.

If you buy the connector that I spoke of, which should be like $25-40, you dont have to worry about Operating Systems...

As for your computer OS not being genuine, have you gone online with it yet? Usually they dont activate until they get on the internet and can access Microsoft's site. Try that, and it should go away...

Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Thanks! After talking to my bro, I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145133

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, that'll do the trick, put the hard drive in it, plug it in and transfer the files you need. Then you can format it and use it for extra storage.

Quick Reply: Transfering files from a dead computer...