Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

External DVD burners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default External DVD burners

I'm considering getting a external DVD burner for our laptop as it just has a cd burner/dvd drive but it wont burn DVD's. I have a Lite On and a Sony in my desktop I built and other than the first Lite On being bad I've been happy with both of them. Anyway I got to looking on Newegg.com at some and see they have a Samsung and Lite On cheap. I was also thinking about just buying a internal one and one of the external enclosures to mount it in but it seems like it would be cheaper just to buy a external one. I have one of the enclosures but I'm just not sure where it is. I could probably find it but just would rather keep it for when I need to put a hard drive or something in. Anyway I saw those two cheap ones and both got decent reviews. I would kind of like Litescripe technology but neither have them and I don't want to pay a ton extra for it so I figure I can do without. Anyway here are the two. Has anyone used them? Any opinions? Any other recommendations?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106248

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151163

I'm leaning towards the Samsung as it will burn dual layer dvds at 16x for +r dual layer disks and 12x for -r dual layer disks where as the Lite On will only burn them at 8x. Other than that most things look equal. I've never been a huge Samsung fan as I've always just thought of them as lower end stuff. It does get good reviews although there isn't many of them.

Anyway which one would you guys recommend? Any other recommendations in this price range? I don't want to spend a ton on one as I in most cases don't need one for the laptop it's just going to be nice for backing up stuff where I can use a dual layer disk instead of 5 or 6 cd-rs. That's the main reason I want it but it would also be nice to burn movies from the camcorder while on trips and stuff instead of waiting until I got home to do it on the desktop.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 AM
pghsebring
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: External DVD burners

Does your laptop have a firewire port?

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I would recommend a firewire capable external burner if your laptop can support it..... however, to answer your question...

I'd go with the Lite-On model myself.

1.) Its a cheaper unit that performs the same task and you like the software
2.) Most DVD media is limited to 8-12x max anyhow...
3.) For the price of the Samsung, you could buy the Lite-On and about 100 DVD's...

Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

The Samsung is actually on sale I guess or maybe just got marked down but is actually $1 cheaper than the Lite On.

BTW yes the laptop does have a firewire port. I didn't see many that were fire wire though.

I really want the dual layer burning speed of the Samsung as dual layer dvd's take forever but I don't want it if it's not as good of quality.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

The Samsung is actually on sale I guess or maybe just got marked down but is actually $1 cheaper than the Lite On.

BTW yes the laptop does have a firewire port. I didn't see many that were fire wire though.

I really want the dual layer burning speed of the Samsung as dual layer dvd's take forever but I don't want it if it's not as good of quality.
When I looked at the price on the Samsung, it was listed at $99.99.... so if its cheaper, its the better deal honestly...

However, the Dual Layer discs only burn at a max of 8x right now.... at least, that's the fastest burning dual layer disc I've seen/purchased. So anything above that is probably a woulda shoulda but cant deal..

Old 07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
pghsebring
Record Breaker

Neither of those have fire wire as far as i can see, i'd keep looking around....

Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yup most stuff I burn is dual layer disks. Idk why the Samsung shows up for you as more. It was on pricegrabber as $99 but it lists on Newegg as $54.99 but says it was $99.99

Would firewire be that much better over usb? I know it's faster but how fast do you need for a DVD burner?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Firewire is definitely preferable IMO. But between those two at the same price get the Samsung. I've had a few samsung drives and a lot of their other products and I've never had problems with them (except a stuck pixel on my 22" flat panel but they're replacing it free). I personally wouldn't have any qualms about buying a samsung product.

Quick Reply: External DVD burners