Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Site speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Site speed

I must say the site is too slow. Very slow. The site has reached the point where I will cick a link and go do something else while I am waiting for the site to load. No bs, it takes as long as a minute for each and every page to load.

Hell I don't remember a 14k modem being this slow and I am using a better than average cable connection for the internet. What's worse is it is not like a 14k modem that wil load the page little by little, I see the banner at the top about 10 - 15 seconds afte I have clicked a link then it goes no farther until the page it 100% done loading and only then will I see the rest of that page.

I have heard from other members that if you use firefox and filter out the adds the site is fine. This tells me either there is something in the script of these adds that slows the site or you need faster memory to load the pages. On my blackberry, I get pages loaded faster than my pc does and by no means do I call my blackberry a fast connection. The difference it my page I see on my blackberry has all the buzzers and whistles removed from the site and no adds.

Coming from a member who is basing my opinion of this site after being here a couple 24 hours, the only reason I keep coming back is I know the knowledge base here is great and I get good answers. Keep going slow and I am sure members might start looking for greener pastures.

Sean

Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I used Firefox and I can load this page in just under 2 seconds. I have a 5meg connection.

With slow as crap Internet Explorer I can load this page in... 7 seconds.

Beats the hell out of me why people wait so long.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With Firefox and blocking ads, it's about 2 seconds, without blocking ads, it's about 4 seconds. Really no noticeable difference between this site or any other forum I'm on.

P-man, your sure it's no on your end or something with your provider? What if you delete cookies and try it?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Pirata
Champion

I troubleshoot computers for a living, trust me I have checked everything on my end. Since this is the one and only site I have been to recently that does this day in and day out. However basic troubleshooting show if this only happens on one thing and no where else then that's where the proem lies. If this happened on all sites then of course the issue lies with me.

Is the official answer I need to download firefox to view the forum I viewed successfully without it for almost 2 years or are you guys going to look into the issue? By all means I am not the only member having this issue.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Nothing us two can do but report it to the higher ups. Like I said, I checked out IE7 and it loaded in 7 seconds.....

Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Pirata
Champion

Ok cool adios.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Reported, but I don't think much will get done, nobody else is reporting the site being slow for them.
What firewall are you running? When I switched to CA anti-virus suite, I had a problem with this site and all other forums running this software crawling. Any other sites and forums not using this sofware were fine. I determined the the firewall that came with CA, has an issue with this forum software.
There is a cutomization table in it which allows you to selectively omit certain sites from firewall protection. I added the sites that were and issue to the list and the speed came back.
Might be your problem p-man. Worth looking at anyway...

But I agree, I've been a network admin/troubleshooter since the late 80's, common sense tells you that no other sites crawl, but this one does, it must be this one. But common sense isn't always the case in the PC industry...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have noticed a bit of a lag in the uploads, just recently i have been getting the database upload error while trying to sign on. i have twoseperate computers. one vista 64 with high speed internet an explorer, the other micro xp 2000 with fire fox, and they both seem to run the same. just recently

Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm on university fiber with a 40+MB download speed, and still takes 3 or 4 second for any page to load.

Also, the header at the top with PM notifiers and such, sometimes is not therre, but the black bar with links is.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I have none of these problems that people report. I think it's something on their end, like maybe DF isn't good with certain settings or certain browsers.

Quick Reply: Site speed