Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Antivirus Soft, SOB!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Already ran malware on mine. Along with ad aware, superantispyware. So its clean. I just musta got some bad poon one late friday night.

Josh

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
bigtman07
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had several run in with this bad boy and its getting annoying. What makes it worse is that my machines never get it but everyone else in the family does so go figure?? Has any figured out a good avoidance measure? Right now the best I have come up with is Avast + Firefox + firefox adon adblock. That seems to be a good combo. I found lots of ways to remove this thing but the program style changes every time I go to remove it so the tutorial and walkthroughs are only like a guideline of where to start. If anyone has any good ideas to combat this thing. I'm burnin so much gas fixin everybodys computers. I love my ram but its almost like i live in the thing now. lol ok my rants over.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Yeah, I forgot to update this thread: I bought a Windows 7 update disc and did a clean install. No problems so far and I'm loving it! Much faster and smoother than Vista. I'm running AVG right now, but after this and a couple other threads I think I will switch to Avira.

Thanks guys!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't look at the nasty poon man and you will be fine! I am running XP on my weather station computer and pista on my laptop. Might upgrade both to windows 7 this summer if its still good.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtman07
I have had several run in with this bad boy and its getting annoying. What makes it worse is that my machines never get it but everyone else in the family does so go figure?? Has any figured out a good avoidance measure? Right now the best I have come up with is Avast + Firefox + firefox adon adblock. That seems to be a good combo. I found lots of ways to remove this thing but the program style changes every time I go to remove it so the tutorial and walkthroughs are only like a guideline of where to start. If anyone has any good ideas to combat this thing. I'm burnin so much gas fixin everybodys computers. I love my ram but its almost like i live in the thing now. lol ok my rants over.
you should be able to pull up the code line on where it happened. I have yet to run into this one, but I had extensive experience with the total security virus that was flying around last year. Best thing is to tell you family/customers to watch where they go and remind them to not trust any website. Most of these bugs will make an Internet app window into an image saying something along the lines of your system is at risk daddadada you know what I'm talking about. Tell the to kill the process when it happens and proceed to scan with their NORMAL AV scanner.

You might have them install and run a trial of kaspersky for thirty days too.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 02-23-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
bigtman07
Captain

Lol. I dont' have the issue with the antivirus whatever on my machine. But thanks for some ideas Laramie. Once again you have great ideas. Thanks dude.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

This thing came back, again! Apparently I never ditched AVG. This time it was different though, and it only affected my user account. I have no idea where I picked it up (and NO I was not looking at "nasty poon", lol).

Anyways, I ran an AVG scan on another user account and it came up with nothing. I deleted my user account (but saved my files and scanned them with AVG, again, nothing). So far no other hiccups, but I don't think I got rid of it this easily...

What should I do to ensure this thing doesn't come back?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Ditch AVG.

Run a trial of kaspersky AV
Run Malwarebytes
Run Hijack This- Post up the hash here if you have questions.
Run Super Antispy

Then come back and tell us what you see.

Since you have a paid copy of M$, then you should be able to have access to their security essentials suite which I'm finding is pretty decent. Much better than those other free ones you see floating around.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing to add to Laramie's directions... you may possibly need to boot into Safe Mode (with networking) before you start his steps.

The antivirus soft (and similar "rogue antispyware" scam malware) type of programs are nasty critters. They can even come in via downloaded PDF files through a security flaw in Adobe Acrobat Reader. There are dozens of different ways they can infect your machine.

I also agree with Laramie about M$ Security Essentials. If you absolutely refuse to pay for antivirus, the M$ unit is the best of the freebies currently. Its a little slow at scanning, but it seems to do a decent job.

The top two AV programs are Kaspersky and BitDefender (tied for the lead), but both cost money.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I was under the assumption that JR has another PC that he could download all of this to and then transfer to the infected system to run the programs...

Quick Reply: Antivirus Soft, SOB!