Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Antivirus Soft, SOB!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Antivirus Soft is anything like Antivirus Live! Then all you need to do is either clean the infected files out of your registry manually or a program like Malware Bytes will get rid of it. That's at least been my experience. If you can get your computer to run in safe mode you should be able to dl Malware Bytes and get rid of Antivirus Soft.

I haven't heard of Avast or used their products before but I use CA and haven't had any issues with my PC since installing it. CA seems to be very proactive and is updated frequently.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
One thing to add to Laramie's directions... you may possibly need to boot into Safe Mode (with networking) before you start his steps.

The antivirus soft (and similar "rogue antispyware" scam malware) type of programs are nasty critters. They can even come in via downloaded PDF files through a security flaw in Adobe Acrobat Reader. There are dozens of different ways they can infect your machine.

I also agree with Laramie about M$ Security Essentials. If you absolutely refuse to pay for antivirus, the M$ unit is the best of the freebies currently. Its a little slow at scanning, but it seems to do a decent job.

The top two AV programs are Kaspersky and BitDefender (tied for the lead), but both cost money.
Everything I've looked at puts Avira Antivir as the best of the free AV's (better than quite a few of the paid ones actually). I personally run this, if I was going to a paid AV it would either be Kaspersky or G-Data.

Quick Reply: Antivirus Soft, SOB!