Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

virus protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's weird.

You might fire off an email to them asking what they would do for you on a one year license. I thought for sure you could get a one computer suite from their site. You can't. Thought you could get it in store, and you can't even do that with out getting 3 keys. The nice thing is that at three keys, it's only $8.00 more than what I told you it was...

That's not a bad little system I don't think. It should serve you well for a long time. You might have some hardware issues down the road, but that's just because Gateway has a habit of throwing lower quality parts in their towers. Nothing to worry about right now by any means.

I did have a thought that occurred to me last night. I know that money can be tight, but if you are really worried about the interactions between what your son does on this system and what your daughter does, what about the idea of picking up a cheap tower for one of them? You can find Intel P4 towers around for $100.00 or less which would be fine for web browsing and homework typing...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that you mention it, that's not a bad idea. I still have the monitor and other stuff from the old clunker and I could use 1 of the licenses from the AV on that one. Another question, what's your opinion of a program called TuneUp Utilities? I ask because my dad gave me that, I just haven't installed it.

Edit: We went with the Kaspersky Internet Security 2010... It was a little more than we wanted to spend but, It's worth it, I think. Thanks again for ya'lls help. I'll probably be back with more questions.

Last edited by rwisaacks; 06-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Since you didn't pay for it, there are a few tools that suite has that would be worth the install time. Mainly the one you're looking for is a registry cleaner. Most of the other stuff that suite does is done by Windows 7 on a monthly basis.

Save for broken links and what not, but jeez, been a long time since I've removed a program and it didn't take the shortcuts with it. Just note that it makes getting into some settings easier that probably shouldn't be messed with by the typical end user.. Certain things like registry editing, start up control items, and so on really shouldn't be monkyed with unless you know what you are doing.

Kaspersky IS is pretty good I think, although, not really needed under Windows 7 in my opinion. The only real difference between it and the AV is that the internet security comes with a firewall. I've found windows 7 firewall to be quite adequate out of the box for most people.

It will serve you well I think.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You can buy 1 license versions of KAV in any Best Buy for $40 from the Geek Squad, but KIS will work just fine.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the computer from? Any new PC from Best Buy comes with 6 months of KAV for free, or the first year for only $20.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Really? I got ripped off. I bought it from BestBuy less than 2 months ago and was never told that. The only AV offer was from Norton.

EDIT: I looked at my reciept, it was bought 4 months ago. I was confused.

Last edited by rwisaacks; 06-17-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You should go back and ask when you get some free time. Talk to a manager, explain how that wasn't offered to you, and see if they can "return" the machine (in the system, not physically) and then ring it back up with the free 6 months of AV.

Worth a shot. Worst they can say is "no".

Old 06-18-2010, 01:28 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Originally Posted by jasonw
You should go back and ask when you get some free time. Talk to a manager, explain how that wasn't offered to you, and see if they can "return" the machine (in the system, not physically) and then ring it back up with the free 6 months of AV.

Worth a shot. Worst they can say is "no".
We're going back this weekend to shop for a laptop, so I'm bringing the receipt to show them and see what they will do. On a side note, last I ran a full scan using Kaspersky and it told me that there was 19! trojans detected. I looked around and they were all located in Limewire, music that my son downloaded probably illegally because he sure didn't pay for the songs. Needless to say that program is gone and blocked. Mcafee never detected any of those, so Kaspersky is earning it's keep.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

OMG you poor man. I don't condone illegal software and multimedia, but there are much better places to obtain what you're looking for than limewire.

I'm to the point now that if a person comes to me for free help on a system and it has limewire, firewire, waterwire, or any other flavor of that pathetic excuse of a program on it, I will not touch the system.

Good call on removing and blocking that program!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:05 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
OMG you poor man. I don't condone illegal software and multimedia, but there are much better places to obtain what you're looking for than limewire.

I'm to the point now that if a person comes to me for free help on a system and it has limewire, firewire, waterwire, or any other flavor of that pathetic excuse of a program on it, I will not touch the system.

Good call on removing and blocking that program!
Yet another reason for me to get the boy his own puter. He has downloaded about 2000 songs. I told him I probably haven't even listened to 2000 songs in my life and he's got thru the weekend to get the one's he wants off the computer and then they're all deleted. I'm finding that computers can be interesting and maddening all at the same time. I finally figure out one thing and then ten more thing pop up.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If I could have a penny out of every dollar that parents and grandparents (and other relatives) have spent at Geek Squad getting rid of viruses that their kids downloaded through Limewire alone, I would be a rich man.

Quick Reply: virus protection