Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

virus protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 AM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running Norton 360, because I get 3 licenses for the year. That said, when the year runs out, Norton does not function. That was a little scary. I think I paid $40 via Amazon.
NetNanny is a good choice, as I recall. Another approach is to make a pact where no one uses the computer alone in the room...there must be someone else present. I have used www.hedge.org before, where you set up their proxy address in your machine. Any web address attempted first goes through their proxy to check against known **** (and other equally bad) sites. Here is another one that looks similar: http://www.cnonline.net/members/supp...page=proxy.htm

Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 AM
San Antone RR
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997

I'm to the point now that if a person comes to me for free help on a system and it has limewire, firewire, waterwire, or any other flavor of that pathetic excuse of a program on it, I will not touch the system.

Good call on removing and blocking that program!
Absolutely.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Section VIII
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using McAfee products for over 12 years and have not had a problem. Norton on the other hand, simply sucks. Of course, I use the Enterprise versions of McAfee so that affects the outcome a little.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember the news story a little while ago about a "update" McAfee did to their enterprise version that caused it to go berserk on a critical windows process? No offense guy, but you are still willing to trust them after that AND relatively low ratings on their detection system?

The newer Norton AV has been rated higher than McAfee more times than I can count in detection rates (not that Norton is anything to rave about either). Look at any independent ratings lab for the past few years, McAfee isn't great at all. Many retail chains don't even sell it anymore, and for good reason.

Despite what a few people think, I've actually seen more problems caused by the enterprise versions on clients' machines than the commercial off-the-shelf equivalents, especially with the infamous "blue screen of death". I've also seen "enterprise" edition equipped machines get infected the same ways a normally equipped machine does.

Only reason companies use McAfee or Symantec "enterprise" editions are because of cheap mass-license deals, and both companies are huge and well known.

Last edited by jasonw; 07-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Section VIII
I've been using McAfee products for over 12 years and have not had a problem. Norton on the other hand, simply sucks. Of course, I use the Enterprise versions of McAfee so that affects the outcome a little.
Funny.

I've lost count of how many laptops and desktops I've fixed because of two AV programs. McAfee, and NOD32... It's what our school hands out for free and I don't mind that. For each and every system that is brought to me by someone I do not know, that means a quick $50.00 in my pocket. Much cheaper than what they would spend taking it to a repair shop any day.

One day, someone like myself or Jason is going to have the joy of removing McAfee from your system and all the other bugs that it doesn't catch.

Quick Reply: virus protection