Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

Computer Technical Support course at college?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Jeremycrowder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer Technical Support course at college?

I am thinking of applying for a course in computer technical support at college. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice. If anyone is doing or has already done this course or knows anything about it, I would appreciate any help. Just things like what the course involves, what kind of work or projects you do etc. Any help would do.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not in a CIS field, but I work closely with people who are and take some of their classes....

Expect LOTS of programming classes. From assembly language to scripting. You'll also have some hardware classes, software classes, possibly web design classes depending on where you go.

Personally, I avoid programing like the plague. I don't have the thought process or the interest in learning how to write in a complete different language to make something work for me. That's why I got into the networking area. It's a hybrid of CIS. We take their programs and know everything else that they do to complete our jobs.

If you're looking at a "technical support" position, then expect to make about 20,000-23,000 annually.

A properly certified network administrator should be pulling in anywhere from $40,000 a year all the way up to $70,000 depending on the company size and job description.

I'm sure Jason will expand more on the CIS area since that's where he's at now IIRC.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm more of a programmer than a networking person, but I'm learning some of both because there is more interest and more $$$ in networking right now. The programming field is somewhat flooded.

The technical name for my degree will be Information Technology, or IT. I've learned (and will be continuing to learn more about) ASSEMBLY, C++, and at least a little about Java and other newer languages. Then of course there is networking, which is a completely different subject. Some programming overlaps with it, but to split your attention to bits (no pun intended) about both is quite challenging.

If the course is just about IT support, worst case scenario, all you get out of it is customer service experience. Almost every job today can be improved by customer service, and almost every business looks for at least a little of that. Except for the cost of the course, its a complete win-win situation, whether you end up in the Tech Support, Networking, or whatever field.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Customer service is a biggie I know, but networking people usually don't so much deal with the outside world as much as you guys do. Admins typically deal with outsiders concerning their WWAN solutions such as cell phone and remote cell connectivity and service providers in the area such as internet service providers and dark line service providers. It's kinda nice considering that you usually don't have that much to do with your coworkers either. In a well designed IT department, there is a help desk person who handles all inbound complaints about the technology in the place and if need be, refers it to the admin. Like I said though, well designed IT departments.

Networkers do generally tend to overlap a little with CIS as I said and as Jason said. We don't really get caught up in programming save for some PERL, JAVA, HTML, and maybe some C++. We get more caught up in scripting and kernel design for our servers. (Even that is getting outsourced these days as well)

If you are serious about getting into this field, I recommend that you capture ALL the experience you can get your paws on. Even if you start as being an equipment cleaner. You know the guy... The one that walks around with a can of air and some Lysol wipes...Often times, hard work and desire to continue your learning process will gain you colossal leaps over your fellow IT professionals who feel they can go to school, get certified in their field and step into a $77,000 a year job. Sure, some people pull it off, but often times employers are looking for someone who not only has the certifications, but who also has experience to back those pieces of paper up.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM
houseoftoes
Professional

Whatever way you go for your education I have one thing that I can not stress enough....DO NOT GO TO ITT TECH!!! I am about to finish my Assoc in there Computer Networking Systems (CNS) degree and it is a joke of a school. I will be going to Bellevue for there System Network Administration Program (SNAP) which I have heard and seen in paper is a great curriculum.

Sorry to go on a rant. Like the above poster put, hit everything you can. The more well rounded you are in this field the more you are going to impress not only yourself because you can "see" what is going on but also the person who will put out that raise. I try on a day to day basis get in the work that is going on around here and also talk to our customers to see what there company are looking for and the types of training going on. You would be surprised how many times I just talk to someone and then they are asking for a hand the next time they come in and I get a hands on approach to some good training plus a name drop.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Codyion

According to me computer technical support is a branch that involves studying of computers where it needs up gradation, service, repair and networking. You can procure the degree from Diablo valley College

Quick Reply: Computer Technical Support course at college?