Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating?

ok well i know/think my computer has been overheating like seriously... um... when installing my second OS on my computer my computer will suddenly turn off and wont come back on and u can hear what sounds like a christmas song lol... and then u can smell something burning... and well its done it twice today which has me worried... and i'm wondering how many times a CPU (AMD) can take being overheated....

Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: overheating?

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

ok well i know/think my computer has been overheating like seriously... um... when installing my second OS on my computer my computer will suddenly turn off and wont come back on and u can hear what sounds like a christmas song lol... and then u can smell something burning... and well its done it twice today which has me worried... and i'm wondering how many times a CPU (AMD) can take being overheated....
How old is your PC? Older AMD processors were notorious for running hot. Damage could occur, however if you open your case and run with it open and it runs fine then you are probably OK. You will just need to figure out a way to cool it if you want to close the case. Additional case fan maybe.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:51 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whens the last time you blew the inside of the case out? Mine get cleaned out once a month. Got a computer from somoene for free (old PII 450) when they said it would keep shutting down. Opened the case up and the whole inside was covered in lint. Cleaned it out and its been fine since. But if you have any additional space for fans, put some in.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:58 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion

yea when it still had its original heatsink and fan it would run around 65C but then when i installed the masscool aftermarket one it would stay around 45C....and i have 3 fans going... 1 60mm, 1 heatsink, and 1 120mm, and soon to be another 120. it was just strange i've never had the fans just like turn off... now i'm watching them like a hawk. and i clean it out about twice a month...depending on how bored i am lol

Old 11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could have a fan getting ready to fail....but I'd seriously take a look at your powersupply. I've seen several fail and produce a burning smell....

You could also go pick up some thermal grease. You take the CPU fan off the CPU, and apply a small amount to the top of the CPU. This is designed to prevent metal on metal heat buildup....and also allows for better cooling...

Old 11-26-2006, 10:34 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

i think it might be my cpu fan...several times on start up it just wouldn't even turn on...and i didn't know until i looked at the screen the second time and it said "CPU fan failed to start" and i looked it and surely enough...it didn't start

Quick Reply: overheating?