Dodge Forum Site Issues and Suggestions Having an issue with the DF software? This is your section!

POST YOUR COMPUTER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: POST YOUR COMPUTER!

ORIGINAL: Asgard_thor

your making a mistake buddy....Core 2 are way better
AMD is as good or better then Intel....depending on the chipset/cooling systems...

That said.... 6k or more for an Alienware system that's never going to do more then play a few video games and maybe some movies isnt exactly my idea of spending money wisely.....

Considering I paid $1600 for what I have.....I'll keep the rest of my money and actually use my system for what its for..

Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea my AMD is clocked only at 2.13GHRz, but its faster than my churchs 2.8GHRz P4 video editing/projection computer. only problem with it was the OEM heatsink that came with it...constant 60C+ temperatures=bad. but the $10 heatsink/fan i got from newegg put the temps. down to 40C at idle and only 45C under load

Old 02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
sneaky
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: Asgard_thor

your making a mistake buddy....Core 2 are way better
AMD is as good or better then Intel....depending on the chipset/cooling systems...

That said.... 6k or more for an Alienware system that's never going to do more then play a few video games and maybe some movies isnt exactly my idea of spending money wisely.....

Considering I paid $1600 for what I have.....I'll keep the rest of my money and actually use my system for what its for..
Areyou trying to tell me something?

Granted it is a steep price for a comp buts its going to be used for more than games. Photoshop, flash 8, dreamweaver, movie editingand whatever I have to do from school. The only reason I got the computer anyway is because I hit a slot machine for $7246.54.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM
shiltz
Captain

That used to be the case, but not anymore, the top of the line AMD Athlon FX can bairly beat the bottom of the line Intel Core 2 Duo, and the top of the line Core 2 Duo simply blows away anything AMD can offer, heck the top dual core Core 2 Duo can beat the Dual cpuDual core Athlon FX-74 (4 cores total) in almost every single benchmark.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:40 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Shiltz, read the statement again....

AMD is as good or better DEPENDINGon the chipset/cooling systems....

I run both chipsets...and both are very good chipsets.....and I have Core 2 Duo machines.....both at home and work....

I also dont put a ton of faith in benchmarks.....as more often then not the software ran never takes full use of the hardware. Also, most AMD chipsets are still single core.....and provide performance relatively close to the dual core'd Intel's....for less money...

I agree with you though that Intel currently has the leg up....but after 4-5 years of AMD blowing them out of the water, you figure Intel had to someday get their shots off.....

Old 02-27-2007, 04:07 PM
shiltz
Captain

Huh? basicaly everything AMD sells now is dual core save a few notebook CPU's, and chipset/cooling doen't make AMD better in any way, the only way either of those really even effect performance is with overclocking, and core 2 duo's overclock better than AMD's processors, they have pretty much hit a wall.

Synthetic benchmarks are useless, but program benchmarks are very accurate in gauging CPU performance, for comparison a dual coreAthlon 64 X2 6000+ ($509), the top single chip dual core CPU AMD makes and a Core 2 Duo E6600 ($315) the mid line Core 2 duo processor in Quake IV the AMD gets 166FPS, the Intel gets 174FPS, F.E.A.R. the AMD gets 62FPS, the Intel 67FPS, 53 min long Lame mp3 enconding the AMD takes 2:57, the Intel takes 2:49, 200 page powerpoint file converted to PDF, AMD in 1:30, Intel in 1:24, Clone DVD transcoding Terminator 2 SE, AMD takes 8:29, Intel takes 7:50, the Core 2 Duo beats the AMD in every benchmark while being cheaper.

I was an AMD fan for many years, but right now there's no reason to buy an AMD over an Intel, you will pay more and get less, especialy if you are an overclocker which I am.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
sneaky
Veteran

Shiltz, read the statement again....

AMD is as good or better DEPENDINGon the chipset/cooling systems....

I run both chipsets...and both are very good chipsets.....and I have Core 2 Duo machines.....both at home and work....

I also dont put a ton of faith in benchmarks.....as more often then not the software ran never takes full use of the hardware. Also, most AMD chipsets are still single core.....and provide performance relatively close to the dual core'd Intel's....for less money...

I agree with you though that Intel currently has the leg up....but after 4-5 years of AMD blowing them out of the water, you figure Intel had to someday get their shots off.....
*sighs* I would give up man. Apparently she knows EVERYTHING about computers.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: shiltz

Huh? basicaly everything AMD sells now is dual core save a few notebook CPU's, and chipset/cooling doen't make AMD better in any way, the only way either of those really even effect performance is with overclocking, and core 2 duo's overclock better than AMD's processors, they have pretty much hit a wall.

Synthetic benchmarks are useless, but program benchmarks are very accurate in gauging CPU performance, for comparison a dual coreAthlon 64 X2 6000+ ($509), the top single chip dual core CPU AMD makes and a Core 2 Duo E6600 ($315) the mid line Core 2 duo processor in Quake IV the AMD gets 166FPS, the Intel gets 174FPS, F.E.A.R. the AMD gets 62FPS, the Intel 67FPS, 53 min long Lame mp3 enconding the AMD takes 2:57, the Intel takes 2:49, 200 page powerpoint file converted to PDF, AMD in 1:30, Intel in 1:24, Clone DVD transcoding Terminator 2 SE, AMD takes 8:29, Intel takes 7:50, the Core 2 Duo beats the AMD in every benchmark while being cheaper.

I was an AMD fan for many years, but right now there's no reason to buy an AMD over an Intel, you will pay more and get less, especialy if you are an overclocker which I am.
Yeah, I misspoke when talking about the AMD chips. I was trying to say something else and it didnt quite come out as I tried to type it....

Again, program benchmarks are still flawed as most are still not written in code that fully takes advantage of the hardware. How can a 16/32bit code truly utilize a 64bit processor? Not to mention several of those programs/games wont utilize a dual core processor fully or at all. Most of the top games on PC's are just now starting to really open up to dual core and even then it's not that great....

The thing that Intel has done better then AMD has been that their dual cores have a higher onchip cache and a higher processor speed....which will help the chip when it's forced into a single core program...

Here's a benchmark comparison of the Dual Core's between AMD/Intel.....provided it's from AMD's site....but still

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/DB25CB5CC0EE408ABD0F975A2C76D5CE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 PM
shiltz
Captain

That's the problem though, going to AMD's web sitefor benchmarks against Intel is the worst thing you can do for getting an acurate unbiased benchmark, those numbers are just made up numbers by AMD to make their processors look good, you need to look atindependant review placeslike Tom's Hardware, yeah no games make much use of dual core and 64 bit, but both processorers are still on equal ground there, no like one is getting an advantage from that as they are both dual core 64 bit capable CPU's running 16/32 bit apps on a 32 bit O/S.

Actualy AMD'shave thehigher processor speed, AMD's top processor tops out at 3Ghz, Intel's is 2.93Ghz, but Intel does have more L2 Cache, 2-4mb per core vs AMD's 512k to 1mb, and it does more work per processor clock cycle.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Asgard_thor
Professional

I argee with you fully Shiltz, and your completely right in everyway

Intel has the Processor market for at least 1-2 mores years, with out a fight...(even longer if amd doesnt try something)

Amd already released its "True Quad Core" processors, and still lose to the Core 2 Q6700, and intel hasnt made there True quad core yet...which is 2 dual core processors, on 1 board, and it has 2 cpu sockets

Btw, I am a Intel Fan. I had my P4 for 2years, and I havent upgraded, I was going to get a Core Duo right when then they came out...and look I waited and now they had Core 2's...im just waiting to get some money...so I can get a E6600 and a 8900gtx(when ever they come out)

Quick Reply: POST YOUR COMPUTER!