Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
ohiogary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem

I have a 96 intrepid 3.5 and lately its been giving me problems, most of the time in the morning, it doesnt want to start, I turn key back and wait a moment then when I turn the key I hear a click sound under the hood then when I go to start it fires right up. I replaced the fuel pump, relay, fuel pressure regulator, which didnt change anything. Theres no check engine light, the engine runs perfect when running. Im not sure if there could be a problem with one of the sensors. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: starting problem

ORIGINAL: ohiogary

I have a 96 intrepid 3.5 and lately its been giving me problems, most of the time in the morning, it doesnt want to start, I turn key back and wait a moment then when I turn the key I hear a click sound under the hood then when I go to start it fires right up.
By this, do you mean it turns over with no start, or you turn the key and the starter w/n crank?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
ohiogary

It turns over just fine, but in the morning or after the car has been setting awhile, when you go to start the engine, it turns over but will not start, if I turn the key to the on position twice, its like the fuel pump primes the system and it fires right up, seems like Im losing fuel pressure after it sets for awhile. but Im not sure where my pressure is leaking, if thats the problem.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Every time you put the key in, the pump should prime and pressurize the rail. The key turning twice is odd... I'm not sure what that's all about... Is it every time you start, or only cold start? Do you turn the key twice, and then every time there after it starts fine (even if you haven't cranked the starter)? It may be some intermitant blockage... have you changed the fuel filter?

Quick Reply: starting problem