Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

2.7L V6 Sludge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2.7L V6 Sludge Problem

Post info about it here:

THUMPS OIL SLUDGE FAQ POST!:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-i...e-problem.html

Allpar.com

The 2.7 liter engine had a tendency to generate sludge which caused engine failure. Similar problems have been appearing on Toyota and Volkswagen engines. We were told that, shortly after the first reported cases, Chrysler isolated the problem to the crankcase ventilation system; hydrocarbons were entering the oil and breaking down the additives. This problem has been solved (around 2002-2004), and the number of engine failures appears to be small. However, if you have an engine that might have this problem, frequent (4,000 mile) oil changes, vigilance, and crankcase ventilation system maintenance (or replacement with newer parts?) may be an answer. We have been getting numerous reports from readers complaining that Chrylser is not standing behind these engines.
Wikipedia.org: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sludge

Some of the 2.7 L V6 engines have suffered from failures due to oil sludge contamination. These problems happen when fine engine oil passages become clogged with sludge, and often result in catastrophic failure of the engine (see below). Improper maintenance, such as irregular oil changes would see such results. An unknown number of Intrepid owners have been affected. Fixes include changing to synthetic oil, inspection, and even engine replacement. The base model continued to use the ordinary four-speed automatic, while the ES featured AutoStick as standard equipment.
DF Oil Sludge Search: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=284428

OilSLudge.com

Since 2001, the most commonly reported problem has been engine failure or timing chain problems with Chrysler's 2.7l engine, all caused by oil sludge. The oil sludge is produced by an apparent design defect with the 2.7-liter engine.

However you decide to fix your blown 2.7L V6 engine, do not put in another defective 2.7L engine. Find a mechanic to swap up to a 3.2/3.5L engine instead. Here's why:

* The 3.2/3.5L engine doesn't have the design defect that causes oil sludge to form in the 2.7L V6.
* The 3.2/3.5L engines are less expensive than the 2.7L, sometimes by $1,000 or more.
* The 2.7L to 3.x swap is fairly straightforward & does not require any custom parts or other major components be replaced.

Some companies sell "fixed" 2.7L V6 replacement engines that supposedly have been modified to fix the oil sludge defect. We have not heard back from enough owners who have gone this route to be able to form an educated opinion on this method. Usually though, the cost of the modified 2.7L engine is prohibitive.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM
deezozdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.7L V6 Sludge Problem

Good info, as I have a 2.7 - 2002 Intrepid. I could be one of the lucky ones, however, having no sludge so far and at 128,500 miles. The car has been great so far; however, I had problems with the EVAC system.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
carmania11

Yeah! It is a nice info.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 AM
MSyn

great

Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 AM
nett

Does this problem affects only Intrepid or all 2.7L engines?
For example stratus SE 2.7L

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
angela1

I had this problem. I was not so lucky and had to replace my whole engine. Now I am having problems with the o2 sensors, or something. It is just one thing after another with this car, my first Dodge vehicle, and my last!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
bimmer4life2009

Very nice, thanks.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Priyanka
Default Nice post

Nice post. I admire what you have done. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.clickresponse.net

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to bump this thread since i'm new. I have been very "anti-Chrysler" when it comes to this subject. These engines have financially "raped" countless individuals and I would advise you to stay away from ever buying one if you don't already own one. It doesn't matter what year or vehicle it's in. However the version they are dropping in the base LX 300 and Chargers have done significantly well, they still are an engineering EPIC FAIL. Just another fine result of the collaboration with Daimler. Hopefully that joke of a corporation will reap what it has sown by using Chrysler to pull themselves out of the pit then throwing them away like a used comdom.

Thank you for your time and attention

Old 10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
jimifanwing

External oil cooler is very effective battling sludge. I don't know if the factory ever added an oil cooler to the 2.7, but I have 3 years/65,000 miles on a rebuild 2.7 (1999) with an external, aftermarket oil cooler. It recently spun a rod bearing (my son had an over-revving event)and I have the motor all apart, and aside from the destroyed bearing, there is zero sludge. I run 50/50 synthetic with regular oil changes. Besides the actual cooling aspect of the external oil cooler, it usually requires an addition quart and a half of oil in the system, which is a good thing. Similar to a deep sump oil pan hot rodders use.

Quick Reply: 2.7L V6 Sludge Problem