Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

2001 intrepid cranks a long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
bjfc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 intrepid cranks a long time to start

I have a 2001 intrepid with a 3.2 At times it cranks a long time to start. When it does start, it runs rough for a bit and the exhaust stinks. In the mornings, it usually starts fine, after sitting at work for the day, is cranks a long time to start. Any help would be great.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
azwynns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First question is how long has it been going on?

I have a 2000, 2.7 litre, long starting for a couple months, but once started ran fine. One day, no notice, it just would not start. Fuel pump was diagnosed, took it home and changed it myself, which requires droppoing the fuel tank. Not a hard job at all, you can rent a tool from Auto Zone to get the large ring off which holds the pump down, otherwise just a few hoses and two wires, nothing to it. If this is not your problem, I have another idea. a few years ago, same problem, long cranks to get it started. I had to replace the cam sensors, there is one above and one below, both very easy to access and swap yourself, it will save you a couple hundred dollars of labor IF that is the problem. The dealer will diagnose it for $100.

Good luck

Quick Reply: 2001 intrepid cranks a long time to start