Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

2.7 alternator replacement w/stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
jigmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7 alternator replacement w/stereo problems

Hi, all

Alternator replaced in 1999 intrepid 2.7 yesterday.....afterwards, stereo only works on one speaker (worked fine before the alternator replacement), only speaker that works is the drivers door, and it crackles when car is accelerating. When idling, it does not crackle.

Mechanic said they put in a Delco equivalent alternator....do I have to swap relays?

Any help would be appreciated. Car is running fine after alternator replacement, other than radio.

thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
22mopar22
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd make the mechanic fix it sinces it's obvious his repair caused the problem. something like not disconnecting the battery when doing this job will fry the radio.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, have you tried to play with the equilizer setting? what about disconnect the battery for few minute and try again.
Radio is fairly sensitive device. you said it crackle when you accelerate? wonder if the alternator is overcharging. Maybe you got a bad alternator. maybe ur previous faulty alternator blew the radio.
i've seen overcharging alternator keep blowing device like GPS or Cell phone chargers.
Have someone run a charging system analysis for you.

Quick Reply: 2.7 alternator replacement w/stereo problems