Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

93 Intrepid will not start...Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 AM
ryanp77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Intrepid will not start...Please Help

Car began running very rough and after shutdown has not started since. Seems to turn over strong when cranking, but no real effort to start. Checked spark on two wires with no spark detected. Ran the OBD codes and I get Codes 13 and 54. I think that code 54 is in reference to the cam sensor but I read elsewhere on the forum that a bad cam sensor will not cause the car to not run altogether. The car has the 3.5 Liter 24 valve motor. Here are my Questions...

1: Is there a way to test the cam Sensor? Will the cam sensor have any visible signs that it has gone bad? (picture of sensor below)
2: With these particular Error codes, is there a quick easy diagnosis (I know, but I have to ask)
3: Where would be the best place to start troubleshooting from this point?

Thanks to any help in advance. Not having this car running to get back and forth to work is gettting very old on my wife since she now has to drop off myself at work, my children at school and go to work herself all within 15 minutes every morning..hehe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43627/C4D842F666F44E768782609F0A902934.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 93 Intrepid will not start...Please Help

Here is what the Haynes Repair Manual said about your codes.

Code 13- Indicates a problem with the MAP sensor pneumatic (vacuum) system.

Code 54- No camshaft position sensor signal at PCM. Problem with the camshaft position sensor synchronization circuit.

I admit I have no clue about what these really mean and how to fix them, but I hope that has been helpful. I'm not very good with "do it yourself" repairs. I'm not educated on the subject of sensor issues; therefore, I'm not very helpful in that area. I think some places like Autozone will do a free diagonis on this stuff or might be able to tell you more.

BTW, when was the last time you had your spark plugs and wires done. Earlier this summer, my 3.5L started running very roughly and the check engine light went off (I didn't catch which codes it was giving me). I brought it in for the experts to look at it and they said it needed new spark plugs and wires. That solve it. Since you mentioned that two wires didn't have any detection of spark makes me wonder if they aren't getting old.

Also how many miles do you have on this car? Good luck!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 AM
ryanp77

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I am happy for conformation on the codes, the only OBD list I could find on the site seemed to be for a Neon and I wasn't sure if it would be the same.

I am with you on the DIY level, most certainly a novice here! I can muddle and poke my way through most things, but it takes a little longer since I have to do alot of research!

The car has about 110,000 miles on it, and the plugs and wires were replaced about 6 months before the car stopped running.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your welcome, glad I could be to some help. If you replaced the plugs and wires 6 months ago, then it probably isn't that. You should have plenty of good miles let at only 110,000 miles once you get this fixed. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2006, 05:49 PM
ryanp77

Update:

I replaced the Cam Sensor today with no change. Not sure where to go next, except to take car to mechanic. Any Suggestions?

Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
highline95jl
Record Breaker

Take car to mechanic.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I once had a bad map sensor that caused the engine to die and not start again for a while (untill it got un-stuck). If it is the cause of your demise, simply unplug the connector for the map sensor, the computer will set a default value for the "limp home mode" and see if the problem re-occurs. If not, buy a new sensor for about $50 and take about 1 min to install it. It is located on the intake manifold driver side fwd. It is a small square box threaded into the side of the manifold (you can usaly change it by hand) with one ele connector.
Good luck

Old 12-03-2006, 04:42 AM
popimp

The engine will not start without a cam reference signal, the ASD relay will shut down spark and fuel to the car within a second if the PCM does not recieve a proper cam input signal. I would recommend leaving the battery unhooked for about a 30 minute period and then reconnecting. After this reset the TCM and PCM according to instructions at www.dodgeintrepid.net (yay more advertising).

Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Intrepid Scarface

ORIGINAL: popimp
...www.dodgeintrepid.net (yay more advertising).

We should get paid by DI.NET for this, popimp.

Man, this network is slower than wb6vpm's http://www.dodgeintrepidchat.net/

Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

That's true about the crank sensor, howerver, he already changed it. If he recived a defective on then sure, but until he uses a OBD scan tool to reset the code, it will remain in memory for around 30 key cycles (I'm not sure of the #). If the sensor is a good one, it should start right up even with a fault in memory. As for the battery disconect, isn't that to erase the long term correction adjustments? (This can also be reset via the scan tool).

Quick Reply: 93 Intrepid will not start...Please Help