Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

1995 Intrepid Cruise Control & Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
stocktonpi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Intrepid Cruise Control & Air Bag Light

Hello. Air Bag Light & Cruise Control. I have a 1995 2 door automatic Intrepid w- 61,000 original miles in pristine condition that is the family third car so I rarely drive it. For the last year or so, a family friend borrowed and took good care of it. During the time he had it, he took it to the dealer for routine maintenance including a timing belt, one other thing I am unable to recall and on two separate occasions for a faulty “speed sensor?” (The car would not shift out of second gear). Sometime while he had it, the air bag light came on and the cruise control no longer works. Could these be related problems? Is there something that could have become disconnected while the dealer’s mechanics performed the aforementioned work? I have looked but there is nothing obvious to me. Thank you in advance!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:38 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1995 Intrepid Cruise Control & Air Bag Light

I have a 97 and changed both mentioned items (timing belt and speed output sensor).A faulty speed sensor could cause the cruise control malfunction, but you would know as the same problem of the speedometer being inop, and the vehicle not shifting out of gear would be back! There are a few DTC codes that may be stored in your computer (that would not be evident because they will not cause the check engine light on their own). To see if there are any codes, cycle the ignition switch to on (not start) 3 times. On the third cycle, leave it in the on position. The ck engine light will flash a code (i.e. 3 semi rapid flashes-pause-4 semi rapid flashes would be a code 34). You are looking for a 34, 55, or 77.

As for the air bag system, I would have it done professionally as damage or injury can occur if you are not familiar with these systems. I will add that there is one commoncomponent to these two systems. The clock spring in the steering column. It is a series of contacts that keep the driver's airbag module in contact with the airbag control module, the speed control switches in contact with the cruise module, and the horn switch in contact, with the horn while turning the steering wheel.

Lastly, there are impact sensors (2, one right, one left) under the headlights, and while in the region of the timing belt work area (the radiator, pulleys ect must all come out),they should be unaffected by this kind of work.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 AM
stocktonpi

Thank you for the prompt & detailed reply kurts2!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

No problem, just to be safe, let me know if there is also a MIL code 15.

Quick Reply: 1995 Intrepid Cruise Control & Air Bag Light