Dodge Intrepid The sporty car that recently left the Dodge lineup, the Dodge Intrepid. With it's smooth look and comfortable ride, the Dodge Intrepid can still command attention.

95 water pump help change PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM
fordbird302
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 water pump help change PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

i have a 3.5 ltr 95 intrepid. bad wtare pump. its leaking, motor overheats. i have all the top bolts off of the timing belt cover but it wont come off ? why ? what else is holding it on ? how do i get it off and when i do take the timing belt off and keep it from jumping time? i should just mark it i think ? really i just need help with getting the darn cover off (timing belt cover ! help !!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 95 water pump help change PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

I have a 97 3.5 and assuming it the same, you will need to remove the crankshaft pulley. As I recall there were a few blots under it and you will need it off to change your belt. It is a special (long arm spread and short shaft to get between the radiator and engine) puller. I had tried several with no luck and finally bought the right one (OTC # 1023). You will also need the crank puller insert (OTC # 6008)

Here is a link to the place I got mine (it was the best price at the time, and a quick shipment time)
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc1023.html
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc6008.html

PS, from what I just saw on the insert tool note, This was used from 93 up so it probably is the same layout as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
dmmahone
Default RE: 95 water pump help change PLEASE HELP ME !!!!

It's a doable job at home if you have time and patience. After 155K miles my '96 3.5 required its third pump. I've not attempted the replacement myself and learned on the 2nd pump, not to take it to any-old-shop. Make sure you have qualified mechanics. Not only did I have to go replace the Crank wheel because the pulled it off from the outside of the wheel, the 2nd pump only made it 11K miles. It makes me wonder if the bubba shops torque the bolts correctly (Pulley screws @ 250 in-lbs; Mounting bolts @ 105 in-lbs). Since the pump is behind the tins....behind the crank, it's hidden and unable to easily check the torque.

I'm using Alldata.com DIY site for all of my shade tree work on the Dodges. Most of time, it's spot-on. However, I'm not able to confirm the Labor hours OEM for the water pump (~4.3 hours). Got any suggestions?

By the way....those guys at PepBoys in Lilburn are quite snooty and rude. I cannot believe the rep said it would take it "6 to 7hours" to complete. I know I can do it in at least 4 hours. Unfortunately,I do not have the luck of having the extra hours to do the job.

Also, the two special tools (especially the puller insert) are must-have for the job.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Don
Lilburn, GA

Quick Reply: 95 water pump help change PLEASE HELP ME !!!!