Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

rant with a question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 AM
MoparInNJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rant with a question.

ok, so we bought our 09 fully loaded RT in june of 09. its a nice car. looks nice, handels like a dream, has a kick a$$ stereo. however, its negatives far outweigh the positives. where to start...

the interior is crap. both driver side door inserts have broken out. not covered under warranty. the moonroof leaks in carwashes. every interior panel vibrates. the chrome trim around the shifter is always popping off. the A/C is warm, the heat is cold, and dodge says theres nothing they can do. (more then one dealer)

now, mechanical. the thing chews up brake pads like food. i can already tell what suspension parts are gonna rust through prematurely. the rear rotors are as thin as a tortilla. ive also never had a car where everytime i go to take off a wheel, i have to kick it several times for it to break loose. its ridiculous.

rant over, now let me get to the real reason im here. wheel bearings. we had a van that blew up early which the wheel bearings went at 50k miles. theres 60k on this journey, and it needs new front wheel bearings. my question basically is.... anyone else? or did i just get 2 lemons.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hadn't seen any widespread wheel bearing issues, although ALL Chrysler vehicles have a higher rate of failure than a lot of other makes thanks to the decision to use NON-GREASEABLE ones. Ain't really anyone complaining about interior trim problems or A/C - heat issues that I've noticed. I took my mom on an extended trip last year for a family funeral in her Journey and found it to be very comfortable, and very quiet with less road noise and vibration than my Grand Cherokee Overland and despite a black interior, cooled much faster than my GC with a soft gray interior.

Seems EVERYBODY is bi*ching about the rotors, so much so that Dodge has extended the warranty on them. Seems EVERY vehicle Chrysler has come out with in the last 15 years or so has had crappy rotors and they changed them after a couple years. Grand Cherokees had the issue when they first came out, fixed it, then used cheap crappy ones when they redesigned it in '99 all over again. Like the WJ could use the shi**y rotors the ZJ couldn't???

"Nothing they can do" would not be an acceptable answer for me.

Side note: I have four friends with Caravans who are over 200,000 miles on their original engine and my mom has had two of them with no mechanical issues. A golfing buddy of mine has an '08 as his company vehicle and has about 130k miles on his already and it runs so strong he is buying it off his company this summer when his company replaces it.
I see in your sig that you blew you engine at only 83k miles. Are you particularly hard on your vehicles.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-28-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 AM
capsdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings

Hi, I have a 2010 Journey with just under 24K on it. Took it in for the recall on the ignition and got the front rotors and pads replaced. The vehicle was making a loud noise from about 50MPH-65MPH, the service dept. said it's a wheel bearing. This was around 2 weeks ago, they placed an order for the bearing and it is backordered until May 7th. I called dodge and filed a complaint, they are in the process of expediting the part but for now it shows May 6th. I think it's unreal to have a vehicle under warranty, making monthly payments, and park it in the driveway. Is there any other action I can take to get my Journey repaired without voiding the warranty?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I wont go into my rant about my 09 Journey (front/rear pads and rotors before 30k, door wiring harness recall, A/C compressor failure) and the crappy service I get from the stealer, but I will say, when this thing is paid off (if it lasts that long) I probably wont be buying another. I should have known that buying the first version of a newly released vehicle was asking for problems. Hopefully they will get it right, but the service I get from the dealer? There is no excuse for that, they are just plain incompetent..I wonder if the other models (Challenger, Charger, Durango, etc have the same crappy brakes, whos engineering these things??

Quick Reply: rant with a question.