Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Anyone have this with their Journey?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
michelle9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I had it at the dealership all last week. They replaced the front rotors, then resurfaced the back rotors, then resurfaced one of the front rotors. Then they balanced the tires (they were rotated about 2,000 miles ago) and replaced the two front tires (I was told the Journey has defective tires so there is a Chrysler program to cover them), but now the steering wheel shakes when I drive between 53 and 57 miles per hour, either on blacktop or concrete. But if I drive, say, 70 mph, it's fine.

I have to take my car in when my husband and I both can take off work (such as when we were on vacation last week), and we don't have another vacation until November. Last week, it was at the dealership for five days, and this is the best result I was given. The vehicle has 10,000 miles now.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Michelle, you may want to try another dealer, I've seen good ones and bad ones and some of the bad ones, I wouldn't let put air in my tires!!!

Personally, I won't ever resurface a rotor. If it's bad enough to need resurfacing, I replace it. Odds are whatever went on with the rotor that required it to be resurfaced, will just continue.

19" tires or 17" ones? When I bought mom's Journey, we couldn't find a V6 / SXT anywhere with 17s and I knew the 19s were total POS. Only the 4 cyl. ones had 17s. I made them put 17s on hers before I'd sign on the dotted line. So glad I did now, plus there are next to no aftermarket 19s out there in the size the Journey comes with, but there are a plethora of 17s and they are WAY cheaper!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
19InBlkJrny

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Michelle, you may want to try another dealer, I've seen good ones and bad ones and some of the bad ones, I wouldn't let put air in my tires!!!

Personally, I won't ever resurface a rotor. If it's bad enough to need resurfacing, I replace it. Odds are whatever went on with the rotor that required it to be resurfaced, will just continue.

19" tires or 17" ones? When I bought mom's Journey, we couldn't find a V6 / SXT anywhere with 17s and I knew the 19s were total POS. Only the 4 cyl. ones had 17s. I made them put 17s on hers before I'd sign on the dotted line. So glad I did now, plus there are next to no aftermarket 19s out there in the size the Journey comes with, but there are a plethora of 17s and they are WAY cheaper!
Well said Hammer!
Michelle that is very good advice. There are two dodge dealers in my area and they offer TOTALLY different service.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 AM
lago

That's probably right if rotors are low quality, when you brake a lot the friction/force from the brakes it heats up the rotors causing them to warp tose causing the bibration, and if you had them work that makes it worst because now rotor is even thinner and overheats even faster!! againg causing bibration,

Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
WhiskeyBravo

I recently had all four rotors and pads replaced under warranty with my 2010 Journey. My car was shaking like a jackhammer any time I hit the brakes. The warranty work cost me nothing.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM
ConserVet
Default Powerstop Brakes

Three weeks ago I replaced the crappy front brakes on our 2010 Journey with a Powerstop rotor/pad kit from AutoAnything. The difference was night and day. We just got back from 900 mile road trip and no problems yet. The kit was $170 with free shipping, and includes drilled and slotted rotors as well as new ceramic pads.

The brake swap took me longer than expected because the Journey has a new-tech two piece caliper mount, which I've never encountered before, but the time and expense are well worth it. Now when slowing down in that 20 to 40 MPH "super shaky" zone all I get is a gentle buzzing from the cross drilled rotors, just like my motorcycle.

Even if you could sweet-talk your dealer into a free brake job, they'll replace your warped rotors with the same crappy Moper parts that are the root of the problem. Spend the money, get a Powerstop or comparable kit.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

I believe there is a TSB out for faulty brakes and they will service them for nothing.

But yes, I too had to replace the pads and rotors due to the faulty brake issue and I got my own NOT from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Anyone have this with their Journey?