Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Official Dodge Journey Fuel Economy Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
EricVS0411
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad gas mileage

I got an 09 DJ used, had it for about 2 months and my MPG is ussually hovering around 14 mpg. Its a mix of city and highway, but no where near what you guys seem to be getting. Any ideas? I dont go over 70 on the highway, and I'm pretty soft on the acceleration and brakes so I dont know what is going on.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Woody's Journey
Default 2012 avp journey

I drive up and down mountains for about 20 minutes and then on pretty level ground for about 20 minutes. My drive to work takes about 40 minutes and its 50 miles, my mpg average is around 23. The mountains kill my gas. When I'm going up a mountain the RPMS are at a constant 4000 or higher with speeds at 75-80 mph. I wish I had the v6 for the mountains maybe I wouldn't have to rev so much.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM
sandyfromcanada

Sandy from Ontario here. Im getting about 600-650 km per tank which amounts to around 8km/L or for our american friends that is about 24 miles mostly highway driving. I have an sxt 7 seater 3.6L (v6) 6 speed auto with 19 inch (ouch) wheels. Im more than happy with the gas milage for this cuv its the brakes that make me crazy.

Any one got any suggestions on how to get my brakes to last longer. Both front a rears changed twice along with routers now at 85000 we are looking at rear routers and brakes again--rediculous--makes me want my corolla back

Any safe modifications that can be made im seeing lots of info that the brakes are too small for the size of the truck--suggestions??????

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
ChopRod

Dodge Journey's have e-brake assist. Was really impressed with braking and still am. However it does wear out brakes sooner and they use soft pads from factory which are quieter. I read on some forum to go with Raybestos pads and rotors or even slotted rotors to keep brakes cooler. Also read that the 19" wheels are really open and let cold water from automatic car washes can warp them. I went to rinse some crude off the front end after returning from a trip and was surprised how much the rotors steamed when rinsed. After driving the DJ I immediately took off in my van and noticed the difference in braking, the van taking more pedal at it has all new brakes and rotors. It requires brakes more often than I think but found if you get new rotors, have the mechanic turn them down or true them even if they are new. Helps tremendously.
Also, teh 19" kumho's aren't teh best and are quite expensive. If you got to TireRack website and possibly some others, you can Plus size them to another size and have more selections for replacement. Seen compatible tires $70 less each.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
RTHOMAS3295

Had same problem and lots of black residue on rims. Changed rotors to Wearever Platinum as well as Platinum Ceramic brake pads. solved both problems. No dirty rims no shimmy and pad wear excellent. Also front rotors don't get as hot as with oem pads and rotors.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM
RTHOMAS3295

No matter what you do it is not going to increase gas mileage. K&N filters, Spectre filters, Synthetic oil or boosters just don't work. Take a look at all other dodge vehicles that weight 5,000 lbs and over, MPG sucks. Journey is not such a bad vehicle just a heavy vehicle and takes a lot of energy to move it. Believe me I have tried everything and only get 14.8-16 mpg city 18mpg hwy at best.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM
ChopRod

Went to southern IN and eastern MO from NE Ohio and back. 1250 mi. Avg 26.2 on way out in headwind. On way back, shut cruise control off because on rolling and steep hills tranny still wanted to shift down too often even at 70 mph and just below to maintain speed. So I just used my foot and let it slow down around 5 mph by the time you get over the next hill. MPG averaged 28.9 when I pulled into my garage. Not sure why others get poor mileage. Right now its at 23.8 for winter driving and more idling. About 50/50 country/city.
Thanks for info on brakes.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 AM
bigtsr
Captain

MPG is a very arbitrary number!
I have said it before but my opinion is that there are basically 5 things
that are controlling factors:
1-Proper overall maintenance of vehicle.
2-The immediate enviroment (WX) it's being driven.
3-The seasonal formulation of fuel.
4-The topoghraphy (hills etc) it's being driven.
5-The one thing we all take each others word for is personal driving habits.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:38 PM
ChopRod
Default of course..

... its arbitrary. So what? Its the frequency of the statistics that pan out in the long run.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

2009 Journey SE
4 cylinder
70,000 Miles
15-17 city, 20-22 on trips.
Appalling to me that a 4 cylinder gets such crappy mileage. Not surprising though, thats a lot of vehicle for a 4 cylinder.

My 05 Dakota 4x4 crewcab with the 4.7L V8 got the same or better mileage.

Quick Reply: Official Dodge Journey Fuel Economy Thread...