Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Uconnect won't connect

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 PM
tomsengs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uconnect won't connect

We bought our Journey new about 6 months ago and about a month later the whole center section of the dash went blank. heater radio and EVERYTHING! 5 trips to the dealer's shop got it working again Well kind of... now the uconnect does not recognise wife's phone and mine wants me to put in the codeand phone will not give me the code. I have been on the phone with Verizon and then Samsung for hours. dodge dealer says too bad go buy a new phone and try that! I say BS..the dealer where we bought the car has not been a whole lot of help either. This might be our last Dodge..

Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what yr is your journey? U-connect problem is usually a bad U-connect module or software update needed. any waranty left?
If your dealership says the phone is the problem, I bet they someone in the dealership have another phone with blue tooth, right? tell them to show you their phone works, and yours doesn't

The following users liked this post:
AndyYoung (05-31-2020)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) What is the year of the vehicle?
2) What radio is in the vehicle?
3) When are you being asked for a code? Is it when you are pairing the phone?

Originally Posted by tomsengs
We bought our Journey new about 6 months ago and about a month later the whole center section of the dash went blank. heater radio and EVERYTHING! 5 trips to the dealer's shop got it working again Well kind of... now the uconnect does not recognise wife's phone and mine wants me to put in the codeand phone will not give me the code. I have been on the phone with Verizon and then Samsung for hours. dodge dealer says too bad go buy a new phone and try that! I say BS..the dealer where we bought the car has not been a whole lot of help either. This might be our last Dodge..

Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
tomsengs
Default U Connect

The Journey is a 2011 we bought it last October. The shop that replaced basically the whole center dash stuff did state their phones work but it does not connect. It finds mine and then it wants the phone code. The phone does not give a code.. Laurie's phone it will not even find..Both phones worked fine before all this happened. It gave a code and we put it in or something like that I don't exactly remember now but it is different how it tries to add the phone now.. Dealer just says go buy a new phone if thatdon't work try another...
Thanks for everything Tom

Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 PM
bigtsr
Captain

The first thing to do is make sure to delete all pairings
on the Uconnect "settings" menu.
Then make sure both phones have bluetooth turned ON
and are in VISIBLE mode.
Then back to UC setting and pair each phone individually,
the system will ask for a PIN # so use 0000 in example
or 2001.
Watch the phone for response.
Read the pairing section of the DJ owners manual.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The U-connect is a different computer from the center Stack. For your concern, there should be a Software update for the U-Connect module.
To update the U-Connect module, you have to pull the module out and connect it to a laptop with a USB cable that your dealer should have. It is a bit difficult to do.
If they stated their phone works, tell them to show you.
As for the phone code, every phone has a code, most phone's default code are 0000 as mentioned. But try set it to a different code on your phone first, and try.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, thanks for the information, however you didn't mention the radio model.
1) I would say to reset the Uconnect module by pressing the UC button and say "set up, reset". You'll be told that you will delete pairing of all phones... say yes. Now delete UC from your phone.
2) Now let me explain about the code. Some systems such as Ford sync, when pairing the phone, the radio will display a pin code to enter in the phone. Other systems such as UC will ask you for a 4 digit pin code. Here you'll use an easy to rember set of #'s (as mentioned, such as 0000, 1,2,3,4, {just had to edit that last code, the sight blocked it out?}etc). Now as you go thru your pairing, you'll find Uconnect on your phone when it's searching for devices. Press Uconnect when it is found, now a pop up will appear on the phone asking for the pin code. Here you'll inseert the chosen pin code. The phone and Uconnect will now pair (if they agree with each other and have the handshake), they will go thru a connecting mode and then they will bond. Once they are bonded, then the phone will have a pop up saying there is a request to download your phonebook, select "always & accept". The phonebook will now be downloaded to Uconnect. Depending on how many contacts that you have, this may take a couple minutes. After that, then the phone will be ready to use.
Some older phones have to be put into "discoverable mode" in the phones settings menu or Uconnect won't find them.
3) If you have one of the Mitsubishi radios (RES, REQ, RHB, RBZ) then have you had the Uconnect SW update applied?
4) Has your phone(s) had an update applied to them recently? I have seen where a phone may have been working great and then when a SW update is performed on the phone, it may not work now.
Hope this info helps.

Originally Posted by tomsengs
The Journey is a 2011 we bought it last October. The shop that replaced basically the whole center dash stuff did state their phones work but it does not connect. It finds mine and then it wants the phone code. The phone does not give a code.. Laurie's phone it will not even find..Both phones worked fine before all this happened. It gave a code and we put it in or something like that I don't exactly remember now but it is different how it tries to add the phone now.. Dealer just says go buy a new phone if thatdon't work try another...
Thanks for everything Tom

The following users liked this post:
BeingKeith (07-03-2022)
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
kimcoffman

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey. My UConnect won't connect. It keeps going to the black screen, showing the Dodge logo and then trys to load the safety message. Never fully loads the message and then goes back to a black screen and starts all over again. what is the problem? Is there a reset button somewhere or do we need to take it back to the dealer? Called dealer they said give them $68 to do an upgrade. Is this true or are they just trying to get more money out of us?????

Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 AM
abnjlmr

Originally Posted by kimcoffman
I have a 2012 Dodge Journey. My UConnect won't connect. It keeps going to the black screen, showing the Dodge logo and then trys to load the safety message. Never fully loads the message and then goes back to a black screen and starts all over again. what is the problem? Is there a reset button somewhere or do we need to take it back to the dealer? Called dealer they said give them $68 to do an upgrade. Is this true or are they just trying to get more money out of us?????
Hi my mom's dodge journey 2012 uconnect has a problem as well. I know that there are about 3 different ways to get into the Bluetooth screen. One way thru the settings, another thru phone-pair phone and audio-Bluetooth. However, everytime we try to go the Bluetooth screen in any way possible, all it does is stay at the same page as if I didn't press any buttons and thats with every other way as well. My mom needs her Bluetooth because its safer to talk on the fone thru the Bluetooth. Please help!!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
chopson32

I've been to the dealer they couldn't figure out why either. Pulled a fuse and it worked again.next day went out again.have to go back again.it's been a month now without it. It's been updated as well.no idea what's up with this system.

Quick Reply: Uconnect won't connect