Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

DRL Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM
winnipegsxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRL Issue

So i just ordered HID kits for my high and low beams. currently my DRLs are my high beams (at the reduced power) which has lead me to concerns now after having ordered the HIDs.

1) When you turn on your turn signal, the running light on that side goes out (which is normal, but stupid) and i have heard HIDs dont like constant on/off switching
-is there a way to keep the DRLs on consistently, or a way to disable them? i have looked through the lights page on the options page on the journey's touch screen

2)the highbeams running at about half wattage for the DRL function, therefore drawing about 27-30watts. and my kit is 35watts i believe. will the lower power of the DRL function mess with the ballast, or will the ballast pull more power with out consequence?

if i cant resolve issue #1, i suppose i will have to continuously run my regular headlights when driving?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DRL flat out don't work with HID. I afraid you have to leave ur high beam alone.
You wattage theory is incorrect, because DRL varies the Voltage.
Volt X Amp = Watts. DRL lowers the Voltage in half, hence lowering the wattage use and brightness.
HID Kit has to operate above 10volts, anything lower, it will flicker. DRL runs at like 7 volts, so it will not work.
There some HID kits that will work with DRL, however, they are ridiculously expensive. If you want HID Hi, you have to disable DRL. I think you can do that with the touch screen option, or might have to change country code.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
winnipegsxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help!

is it true that if i were to put HID foglights in that it would melt the housing that has the stupid psx24w bulbs?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

35watts? nah, you should be OK. if you step up to 55wats, then it will melt.
HID doesnt generate as much heat as halogen bulbs.
But the problem is that the only HID I believe that will fit is slightly modifying a H16 socket from GM vehicle. And I heard some of them will not even clip in securely.

There are some LED bulbs that are designed to fit both H16 socket and psx24w socket. LED are not that bright. But... it is a Fog Light, a lot of High end German car uses LED fog anyway.
try this browse around this website, I bought A LOT of different color interior bulbs from them, and it works well. Read description carefully, and do your research before you order, they don't have good tech support.
http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm
they are a little expensive, tho.

Quick Reply: DRL Issue