Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 AM
bigtsr
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven nothing but Mopar since 1984 (many of them)
and generally the batteries installed OEM are good for 3-5 yrs.
With the high current demand of the starter combined with
start/stop cycle frequency if it's not the battery it's the starter.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well being a dodge owner and lover. it makes me sad to hear there are suck stupid little issues like this. the starters are junk and need replacing. the freq of them tells me they get whats known as a flat spot in them. which meant one of the electric plates eithers power or ground side in the truck is dead and wont allow current through it. i have replace 100 this way not only in dodge but en ever make car and truck even bikes and 4 wheelers tractors. replaced the started oem.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're out of warranty and the original owner, it's always a good idea to call Chrylser for assistance if in your opinion that a part has failed prematurely. I've seen them offer it on some pretty unbelievable things in the past.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 PM
decembro

I'm curious how you can expect the dealer to fix a vehicle when they can't duplicate the problem. Should they put a battery, starter, WIN module, wiring harness, keys, and maybe a couple tires, just in case that might have something to do with it?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
czplgq
Default 2009 Journey won't start

My 2009 has the same problem periodically...it wont start. just a click. I have found that if i shift into neutral then back again to park it will start. i have not taken it to the dealership for this, since it is out of warranty.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:00 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Scott.sarina
....idiot!.....
I would think the person who waits around indefinately for their car to put them in dangerous situation, thereby willingly making his/herself a victim, rather than give someone a reasonable amount of time to duplicate the problem and fix it, would fall into that classification.

Last edited by TNtech; 08-24-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Corib
Default 2009 Journey problems

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey which I bought brand new back in "09". I have also been experiencing the same issue with starting...most of the time I can get it to start on my own after awhile. Now, two days ago...it would not start or even click when turning the key. I had AAA come out and was told that the car needed the battery replaced. I found a local business to take care of this. What I thought would be a half hour and a little over $100...it actual was $500 and 6 hours later. Turns out that they could not get the car to start once they replaced the battery. They ran a bunch of tests and determined it the was the starter...so that was replaced along with the fried battery. Let me remind you this was just yesterday that I had this work done. Well...I was leaving a meeting tonight and once again my car would not start. This is unbelievable! Thankfully, I was able to get it started after about 5 minutes. In addition to these repairs, I have had to have the brakes and rotors replaced 3 times and the tires once. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have children, and I need to know this car is reliable and safe...and I do not feel like it is. This car is a lemon, and it seems that I am stuck with it. My father is retired from Chrysler, so I have always leased or owned these cars. I have never been so unhappy with a car ever in my life. It disgusts me the amount of money I have to pay monthly for this car, in addition to ll of the other costs that I have occurred. I have never read so many complaints on a car ever. I had a total stranger, who was working in a parking lot ask me how I like my car just a couple of weeks ago. When I explained the issues I have had, he went on to tell me all of the problems he has also experienced with his 2009 Journey. I think Dodge needs to be held accountable for the problems with this brand and model. What expense do I have to pay out now, this last one was my grocery money. Will I have to a cab in the morning to take my kids to school? I mean c'mon, what's next?

Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Corib
I have a 2009 Dodge Journey which I bought brand new back in "09". I have also been experiencing the same issue with starting...most of the time I can get it to start on my own after awhile. Now, two days ago...it would not start or even click when turning the key. I had AAA come out and was told that the car needed the battery replaced. ITh found a local business to take care of this. What I thought would be a half hour and a little over $100...it actual was $500 and 6 hours later. Turns out that they could not get the car to start once they replaced the battery. They ran a bunch of tests and determined it the was the starter...so that was replaced along with the fried battery. Let me remind you this was just yesterday that I had this work done. Well...I was leaving a meeting tonight and once again my car would not start.
Then the mentioned "local business" misdiagnosed your car and it cost you 500 bucks. There are numerous other possibilities besides the battery and starter that will cause a no-crank. If they were ill-equipped to deal with checking those, then they should have subleted your problem out to someone who could. Either way, they should refund your money.

As far as the brakes go, they're a wear item. If you got the cheap brake jobs, expect to get what you paid for. And for the tires? Yeah they wear out too. I'm putting the 4th set on mine in 11 years as we speak. Every car has a cost of operation.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-02-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Welcome to DF. My 09 Journey has been a very reliable vehicle. I too had brakes replaced too early IMO (18k miles for the fronts, 20k miles for the rear), but the last time, I just replaced them myself with quality aftermarket parts. At almost 80k miles now, no brake problems. If you buy cheap stuff, they will wear out quicker. I have never had a starting issue. We are still on the original battery. I have had to replace the AC compressor and the alternator. All done under warranty (we purchased and extended 100k mile warranty, which has paid for itself already). Cars, are mechanical beasts. Stuff will break and wear out. Cost of ownership. You say it "disgusts you the amount of money you have to pay monthly for this car", I am assumuming you have a substantial car payment? That is no fault of the car or Chrysler.

How many miles are on your car? Are you properly maintaining your vehicle per the owners manual? Who is replacing your brakes? How many miles are you going before having to replace them again and what are the symptoms you are experiencing to make you (or whoever) think the brakes require replacing?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
RTHOMAS3295
Angry 2009 Journey SXT AWD issues

I have had every single issue that everyone has posted lately. Starting, Transmission, Suspension, Brakes etc. Thought the Journey was a reliable vehicle but the 2009 year model was a complete lemon and instead of Dodge fixing issues they just do like Apple or Microsoft they will release the newer version which may or may not fix problem until multiple complaints surface and another year model comes out. Mine is a 2009 SXT AWD model with all the bells and whistles but this does not matter if vehicle does not work. Wish Dodge would listen to its customers and fix these issues because I have owned only imports in the past and seems I probably will return to them very soon. Repair bill for imports owned over 8 years $0. Repair bill for Journey over past 1 1/2 years $8000. Do the math. gave American ingenuity a try but economics will prevail when it comes to cost of ownership.

Quick Reply: Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting