Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellen-84

ive had the exact problem but my DJ 09, only I’ve been stranded at home too. I’ve changed the alternator several times,the belt, the starter twice, and the computer. After the computer I’m ready to sell it but keep it because the problem is fixed have had it back three weeks and have had three no starts several clicks and a long start. I don’t know how else to explain that one just keeps trying for like ten seconds then will start and be fine. But after the first alternator I also had to change a wheel bearing and heating cable. When I went to manitoulin island for vacation I was stranded there. starter ,thank god the people on the island are amazing. My kids and sitter were still at the camp ground on the other side of the island. We had gone to get burgers. Anyways then we realized that the break pads were low and sure enough when that’s changed they tell us oh your calipers need replaced and your ball joint is loose.

At the time I could only afford to replace the calipers. I’ve had it 10 months ish... the first three where it’s covered by the dealer it runs perfect then the problems start. I’ve been all over the internet looking for the actual cause and keep hearing neutral safety switch but my Journey was at a dodge dealership and they diagnosed the computer to my mechanic. I don’t know what to do. Damn straight it’s a safety issue. Dodge should do a recall on the switch. If it’s as popular as it sounds. But like I said I’ve changed everything but the switch and the problems are still there. I haven’t taken the car back to the shop because they had it two months and they didn’t fix the problem.

The dodge dealer should have found the real problem.
Yes. You are correct.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellen-84

ive had the exact problem but my DJ 09, only I’ve been stranded at home too. I’ve changed the alternator several times,the belt, the starter twice, and the computer. After the computer I’m ready to sell it but keep it because the problem is fixed have had it back three weeks and have had three no starts several clicks and a long start. I don’t know how else to explain that one just keeps trying for like ten seconds then will start and be fine. But after the first alternator I also had to change a wheel bearing and heating cable. When I went to manitoulin island for vacation I was stranded there. starter ,thank god the people on the island are amazing. My kids and sitter were still at the camp ground on the other side of the island. We had gone to get burgers. Anyways then we realized that the break pads were low and sure enough when that’s changed they tell us oh your calipers need replaced and your ball joint is loose.

At the time I could only afford to replace the calipers. I’ve had it 10 months ish... the first three where it’s covered by the dealer it runs perfect then the problems start. I’ve been all over the internet looking for the actual cause and keep hearing neutral safety switch but my Journey was at a dodge dealership and they diagnosed the computer to my mechanic. I don’t know what to do. Damn straight it’s a safety issue. Dodge should do a recall on the switch. If it’s as popular as it sounds. But like I said I’ve changed everything but the switch and the problems are still there. I haven’t taken the car back to the shop because they had it two months and they didn’t fix the problem.

The dodge dealer should have found the real problem.
It's not a typical neutral safety. It's a range switch and it's on top of the transmission valve body.
Another notable area to cover is the ground at strut tower. Both grounds need to be cleaned and tightened. Also the ground that contact the trans case needs to be cleaned as well. Now, when I say CLEANED, I mean with some sort of solvent and metal brush or a grinder tool and Roloc disc.

I will post pics to help you understand.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Ellen-84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I’ve ordered a range switch, just waiting for it to come, the grounds have both been cleaned and tightened. I don’t know if the grounds at the trans case have been cleaned but I’m willing to try anything at this point. But I’m expecting it’s been done. I’ll find out.i mean it’s been in the shop or won’t turn on more then it’s driven. It’s probably Not even the switch. But god I hope it is. I’m done with it.
this morning my horn randomly started going off and kept going for like ten minutes took out the fuses once we forund them. 530 am. It’s just one more thing to fix. The neighbors said they have heard it before for the week or so but it would honk two or three times and stop. Nothing like this morning.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 AM
Rob Ransom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Journey Alarm no start issue

Hello, I have a similar no start, no crank issue with my Journey l'm trying to figure it out. I did find out that there is a bulletin 08 -009-12 that my service manager at the Dodge dealer found.It requires updating or reflashing TIPM which is a computer/ fuse box.This bulletin is specifically for alarm sounding off intermittently and no start like you have.Any information you have in finding your problem would be much appreciated as well.
God Bless!
Rob

Quick Reply: Issue with 2009 Dodge Journey not starting