Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Dodge Journey overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 PM
dj2015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Journey

My car keeps overheating we ha chage the thermostat but it keeps overheating it s

Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
bigtsr
Captain

You changed the thermostat but did you forward/backward flush
the system/rad ?
Is the cooling fan coming on?

Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 AM
B-2

Sounds like you are having the same problem my Wife has with her car. I found out the cats need replaced & now it has a blown head gasket. I just started taking it apart last night, it has turned into a night mare. I guess you have to pull the cam so that means the covers have to come off the front. I just changed the water pump & replaced the timing belt wish I had know it then so I could have done it all at once. Good Luck

Old 05-30-2015, 11:11 AM
B-2

I finally got the cats changed & some how I put a short in the wiring some were so after $300 at the shop it ran fine all the way home. But after setting for awhile I seen water driping so I started checking & found out the y-fitting is leaking & not even Rockauto.com has them. So I am going to try & figure out how to make some thing else work. I am not sure if I make it leak or the shop did trying to find the short but I did a lot of moving things around to change the cat's. If any one wants to change the cat's them self's be perpared to lose about a gal of blood & a pound of skin it was almost impossible to get your hands in to work on it. I will post what I find to replace the y-fitting if I can figure it out. The only place I found cats that really fit was at Rockauto.com all the others did not have anything to bolt back on the heat shelds & they were a lot cheaper than any were else to.

Last edited by B-2; 05-30-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
B-2

I was able to remove the Y-fitting & replaced it with a T-fitting that I got at O-Reilys for $4.95. I just broke the Y-fitting apart & took it all out of the hose & put in the T-fitting so far no leaks & its running fine. Its not to hard to take out, I was not sure how to remove the old y-fitting so I just hit it with a BFH & broke it up I was able to use my old hose just fine.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:41 PM
nelsonkn1

If you haven't already been told, your head gaskets are blown. We just experienced the same problem. The car would run hot. The coolant levels were fine and the next thing you know the coolant was gone. Ours got to the point where it busted the radiator. After taking it to the dealership a couple of times, we found a service tech with half a brain. Fortunately, we caught the issue 1 week before the powertrain warranty ran out. The journey has a 5 year powertrain warranty from the date of first sale. Don't be duped. Unfortunately, they are refusing to cover replacing the radiator or cracked coolant overflow bottle. If you're having an issue with your journey overheating, take it to the dealership immediately. Don't let them fool you in to thinking it was a fluke. They know about this issue and are trying to avoid losing money. Now we have to pay almost $1,000 to replace the radiator and coolant overflow. It sucks but it made no sense to drive a vehicle with a cracked radiator to another shop to be fixed for less while the dealer is already replacing the heads.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:44 PM
nelsonkn1

Check the date of first sale. I'm pretty sure you have blown head gaskets. If it's over 5 years you may be out of luck.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 PM
B-2

Its a 09 but I will check it out thanks for the info. It would be great if they would fix it right.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Mikemcshanr5
Default Same issue

I had the same exact issue with my 2010. Only has 75k on it. Had overheating and low coolant but didn't notice any leaking at first. After a week the y-fitting started to leak enough for me to notice.Simply replaced it with a t-fitting and it seems to be running fine now. It was difficult to get my hands in there but I jacked up the car and was able to get to it easier that way.

Originally Posted by B-2
I was able to remove the Y-fitting & replaced it with a T-fitting that I got at O-Reilys for $4.95. I just broke the Y-fitting apart & took it all out of the hose & put in the T-fitting so far no leaks & its running fine. Its not to hard to take out, I was not sure how to remove the old y-fitting so I just hit it with a BFH & broke it up I was able to use my old hose just fine.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Keven N Emily Baggett

I just had the same problem with mine are these reversed flow engines mine never overheated till that piece broke trying to get air out of system but in doing so car overheats

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Journey overheating