Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2009 Dodge Journey overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Keven N Emily Baggett
I just had the same problem with mine are these reversed flow engines mine never overheated till that piece broke trying to get air out of system but in doing so car overheats
Don't think so. Would it matter if it was?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM
migz16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TKH3299
The water pump has not been checked as of yet. No white smoke from vehicle at all. I had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago and that did not seem to have coolant in it.

A friend of mine added a cooling system repair additive today thinking that there may be a small leak. Also, I have been told that there may be air in the system. We're going to try to look at that later this evening.
I spent a fortune chasing after my 2009 sxt Journey that was over heating and running hot. Replaced everything you said you did. But 2 things ended up being the solution. My wife says not 2 vehicles will have the same issue alstnough they have the same symptoms. I searched this forum and did everything that people had said and suggested. That being said.... I saw everything you got done on the vehicle. When it came to mine it ended up being a bad gasket on the reservoir tank. Got a pressure test done and sure enough pressure Being lost.... replaced the tank and that fixed the issue for me. indefinitely. Prior to replacing the tank (main culprit) I had to keep letting air out the system as it was always somehow getting in.

My suggestion to you based on my experience is stop throwing large amounts of money into it. If you go to a shop for overheating and you hear that you have to replace a million things walk out. I spent 300 on getting a thermostat replaced with new housing etc, I spent 200 getting the temp sensor replaced. I spent 800 getting the water pump and timing etc done and same issue was there. It ended up being what I said above.

find the source of the leak, check your hoses, check all the hoses connections to parts and make sure they are solid. Once you find the leak repair it and let the air out

Old 10-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Brandi Larson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue 2010 dodge journey sxt

2010 dodge journey sxt fully loaded. I have the storage containers on floor for both passenger sides. I use it for emergency items. After seeing coolant leak underneath passenger mid row i decided to look inside car storage area & noticed oily otange type fluid mo smell. Coolant somehow leaked into my back seat in container & was leaking. After I was reading manual to see w diagram of hoses & things I see that those storage containers are actually cooling stations. They keep 12 pack cans cold. I have had that car for years & had no idea!! So is the coolant or Radiator somehow connected to these cooling stations? And why would coolant leak into car in that spot if it wasn't? Suggestions on where to start looking for issue?

Old 10-12-2022, 04:35 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine leaked at one of the seams in the plastic Y. Had to put it under a little air pressure to see it leak after I removed.it.

Originally Posted by Brandi Larson
2010 dodge journey sxt fully loaded. I have the storage containers on floor for both passenger sides. I use it for emergency items. After seeing coolant leak underneath passenger mid row i decided to look inside car storage area & noticed oily otange type fluid mo smell. Coolant somehow leaked into my back seat in container & was leaking. After I was reading manual to see w diagram of hoses & things I see that those storage containers are actually cooling stations. They keep 12 pack cans cold. I have had that car for years & had no idea!! So is the coolant or Radiator somehow connected to these cooling stations? And why would coolant leak into car in that spot if it wasn't? Suggestions on where to start looking for issue?

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Journey overheating