Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2013 SXT 3.6L All wheel drive; TOWES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 AM
RJesser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 SXT 3.6L All wheel drive; TOWES!

When I bought my Journey 5 months ago there were no plans to tow a camping trailer so it doesn't have the factory towing package. Do any one know the difference ? I now have the brakes hooked up and the hitch attached. Do I need to add any thing else? I have used it a few times and it has plenty of power. But the transmission got hot once.
I was told never to drive in overdrive, Should I keep it out of 6th gear and manually shift it, shifting at around 2000 rpm?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Unfortunately, the "Trailer Tow Prep Group" package description available from the factory is kinda lame. all it says is that package provides a 4-pin connector. No mention of trans cooler, bigger radiator, higher load capacity, etc, which normally a "tow package" includes. When you say you have "the brakes hooked up", are you referring to trailer brakes? As in your other post, a trans cooler is a good idea, but if you are towing a trailer that requires its own braking system, I think you are overloading the DJ. The Journey is passenger car based and its tow rating should be strictly adhered to.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
RJesser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I am only pulling 2100lbs. I am well within the towing capability of the DJ. I wanted the trailer brake hook-up only because the trailer came with brakes.
I found the same information regarding the DJ towing package.

Once again thanks for all your help. I am going to put on the cooler just to be safe.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

According to the Dodge website,, the towing capacity of the DJ is 2500 lbs if properly equipped. I got this info from another site:

The current trailer tow prep group includes an engine cooler and a
trailer tow with a 4 pin connector wiring. This group is available for
factory order on the 2013 Dodge Journey Crew and 2013 Dodge Journey R/T.
Please keep in mind that all of this information is for when the vehicle is properly equipped.

2.4L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow up to 1, 000 lbs including up to 5 passengers and luggage.

3.6L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow up to 1, 500 lbs including 5-7 passengers and luggage.

3.6L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow up to 2, 000 lbs including 3-4 passengers and luggage.

3.6L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow up to 2, 500 lbs including 1-2 passengers and luggage.

My best suggestion at this point would be to work with your preferred Dodge dealership to obtain more specific towing specifications for the
2013 Dodge Journey.

Quick Reply: 2013 SXT 3.6L All wheel drive; TOWES!