Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

09 Dodge Journey: Leaking Coolant

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM
inuyasha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Dodge Journey: Leaking Coolant

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey SXT (FWD), and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my coolant was leaking under the front passenger side and for 2 weeks I’ve added 1liter of Mopar 50/50 anti-freeze. The following week I brought it to my mechanic, and when the vehicle was raised, we saw that the leak was coming from the Y-shaped hose, it’s made of plastic (cheap and low quality); I think it connects to the engine then splits between front and back heater cores.

See attached: Image-1

I phoned dealership and asked for a quote, to my surprise, you have to buy the whole assembly, which is $245 before tax, oh boy! and then labor on top who knows how much my bill would be.

See attached: Image-2

So I showed the schematic to my mechanic and told him the price as well. He didn’t like the idea of replacing the whole assy as I would end up paying more, so he offered me an alternative solution. He said he’ll just cut the leaking part and will replace it with an aftermarket hose, and he’ll only charge me $150 for everything, so I agreed.
Leak is now fixed; I checked under the car and saw a white plastic hose in place of the original.
Do you guys foresee any shortcomings or problems I might be facing in the future with this alternative solution?
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 09 Dodge Journey: Leaking Coolant-image-1.jpg   09 Dodge Journey: Leaking Coolant-image-2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Kinda hard to say without knowing what type of material your mechanic replaced it with. I'd just keep an eye on it for awhile. I had a similar piece break on a Camaro I owned once. I just used a stainless steel "Y" fitting I had laying around and a couple hose clamps. Worked like a champ.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM
inuyasha

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Kinda hard to say without knowing what type of material your mechanic replaced it with. I'd just keep an eye on it for awhile. I had a similar piece break on a Camaro I owned once. I just used a stainless steel "Y" fitting I had laying around and a couple hose clamps. Worked like a champ.
thanks jkeaton, yeah I should've asked him to use metal instead, it would probably last a lifetime.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
greenmachineiijh
Amateur

I had that same part go bad. I did the work myself and it only cost me 20 bucks for the parts.That part from the dealer is a cheap plastic "T" for the heater lines going to the rear of the car. That "T" is MOLDED to the rubber hoses that run from the engine to metal lines under the car and then all the way back to the heater core in the rear, hence the extreme cost from the dealer.

As long as your mechanic used a good "T" fitting and heater hose, you should not have an issue for a long time. I have probably put around 25K+ on mine without any problems.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Mdunntn

Any advice on where to get a t fitting that will match up? What size does it need to be. I'm having the same problem.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Dealer part.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Mdunntn

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Dealer part.
The op stated that you had to order the while assembly from the dealer. I have read people were replacing them with plastic and even metal y fittings.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

True, wonder if you could look the part up and get measurements that way.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Blair M Strickland

So what did you hook the other line up to? If u only used a strait pipe

Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

If it’s a Tee you are replacing, there are 3 lines that need to be connected. What did you do with the third line?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 Dodge Journey: Leaking Coolant