Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2010 journey with honking issue.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Angie Papas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help!

I have a 2010 Journey & mine randomly started honking last month, my coworkers thought I was messing with them but I had no clue what they were talking about until today when I was at the car wash & my car randomly started doing it!

Why isn't there a recall yet?!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
bigtsr
Captain

2010 - could have been built 2009 so potentially a 6-7 year old
vehicle.
Has the car battery ever been replaced?
They don't issue recalls items other than safety issues ,
other than that there may have been a TSB(technical service bulletin)
covering your particular VIN #.
This may also indicate a bad clockspring(worn) you will have see dealer.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Theresa Johnson
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 2010 Dodge Journey - Random Honking - They say its not a safety issue...

My 2010 Dodge Journey is possessed! The horn honks at any time. My dealer (Jerry Ulm Dodge in Tampa) wants a minimum of $1300 to just take apart the TIPM. That is a dodge programming thing. Nothing that can be repaired by anyone else. My horn is keeping my neighboring up by honking at any time of the day or night. It honks in the parking lot in downtown Tampa all day long which is why my battery recently had to be replaced. I am parked at traffic lights and it is honking for no reason. I called Dodge at 800-992-1997 and was told it is not a safety issue which is why it has not been recalled. So when someone mistakenly thinks I am honking at them and my car puts me in a dangerous situation, will it be made into a recall then?? Has anyone out there successfully taken care of getting this repaired? If so, how much did it cost??? Sounds like most people are trading them in. I have been a dodge owner for the past 25 years. After this, I will think twice about ever owning a dodge again!!!! Dodge did say I could report it to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA 888-327-4236. That is my next step. Go to YouTube and look at this link. This is exactly what my car is doing.
Please let me know what everyone else is doing about this problem.

The following users liked this post:
HornWokeMeUP (07-26-2023)
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Good luck. Dealer is your best option. Extended warranties are a wonderful thing.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Ashleymbee

So, now my car is honking now. Not quit bad. But, it started at 130 am this morning. I thought someone was trying to steal my car. At this point they can have it!
That is not the case. Anyone have any luck? I'm about to dismantle the horn and call it a loss with that fact of it being so rediculously expensive.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashleymbee
So, now my car is honking now. Not quit bad. But, it started at 130 am this morning. I thought someone was trying to steal my car. At this point they can have it!
That is not the case. Anyone have any luck? I'm about to dismantle the horn and call it a loss with that fact of it being so rediculously expensive.

Have you taken it to the dealer for a proper diagnosis?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:48 AM
Ashleymbee

No, it just started this morning. But I've been reading through the thread of this and someone mentioned that I was going to be over 1,000. I shouldn't speculate and I should just take it in.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Theresa Johnson
My 2010 Dodge Journey is possessed! The horn honks at any time. My dealer (Jerry Ulm Dodge in Tampa) wants a minimum of $1300 to just take apart the TIPM. That is a dodge programming thing. Nothing that can be repaired by anyone else. My horn is keeping my neighboring up by honking at any time of the day or night. It honks in the parking lot in downtown Tampa all day long which is why my battery recently had to be replaced. I am parked at traffic lights and it is honking for no reason. I called Dodge at 800-992-1997 and was told it is not a safety issue which is why it has not been recalled. So when someone mistakenly thinks I am honking at them and my car puts me in a dangerous situation, will it be made into a recall then?? Has anyone out there successfully taken care of getting this repaired? If so, how much did it cost??? Sounds like most people are trading them in. I have been a dodge owner for the past 25 years. After this, I will think twice about ever owning a dodge again!!!! Dodge did say I could report it to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA 888-327-4236. That is my next step. Go to YouTube and look at this link. This is exactly what my car is doing. Dodge Horn - YouTube Please let me know what everyone else is doing about this problem.
When it starts doing it, slap the top of the TIPM with the palm of your hand. Beat it like it owes you a moderate amount of money. I would imagine the TIPM horn ckt could be rerouted externally and a relay installed. Just like the fuel pump ckt recall. Don't hold your breath for a recall to ever come out.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb

Just disconnect the horn, or if it has a horn relay, unplug it.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Erin McCoy
Default Horn Issue

I have recently had the same issue with my Journey. I took it to an auto repair who collaborated with the dealer on this issue to no avail. They told me they did not know what the problem was and a possible solution (that may not even truly fix the horn) was $800. I've had about 2 1/2 weeks of silence since I left the shop. I thought maybe they fixed it by accident but the horn started up again this morning. I think I'm going to look into removing the fuse.

Quick Reply: 2010 journey with honking issue.