Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2010 journey with honking issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosemary Simpson-McIlvaney
Same here. Just had the recall done for the power steering hose and fluid (after putting it off because I didn't want anything else to go wrong), and 2 days later my horn has a mind of its own. It started going off while i was at work for a solid 5 minutes then throughout the night then while i was driving. Dealership says its a software update and that i have to pay for 2 updates with no guarantee that this will fix it (was told it should fix the problem). Called Chrysler to complain 1-800-465-2001 and tell them i have noticed many others with the same issue. I was told that i am the ONLY person to complain about this and that I shouldn't trust what I have read on the internet!!! In my head I am certainly exploding with expletives... very upset
so.....what do you want?

Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Rosemary Simpson-McIlvaney
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
so.....what do you want?
Obviously I would like them to look into this issue further as it would appear many others are experiencing the same issue. Also, if people haven't called, I would like them to so a recall can be implemented.

The following users liked this post:
HornWokeMeUP (07-26-2023)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Obviously I would like them to look into this issue further as it would appear many others are experiencing the same issue. Also, if people haven't called, I would like them to so a recall can be implemented.
Recalls are for safety issues primarily. A horn going off at random doesn't classify as such. Especially on a 7 year old car. In reality, a very busy dealer might see 3 of these a year. People don't get on the internet to leave happy stories.

I can get on YouTube and be told that the world ended 4 days ago. About a million users have videos posted as such.

I will tell you that a software update isn't going to do anything. You need a shop that can diagnose a car for starters. Trust me, these days they are few and far between. How many non-engineers out there you think can accurately diagnose a car with up to 50 on board computers? Heck, I can't even get FCA engineers to fix one. lol

Last edited by TNtech; 09-27-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:03 PM
kristy67
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't care....That's the problem. They say that they have someone working on it and they don't. I have been without a horn for over a year because I had to pull the fuse. Dodge doesn't care about their product and if they tell you they have a STAR case on it, they don't. AND if you get someone on here saying they are a case manager, don't listen. All they do is try to smooth things over and make you feel stupid by telling you that your problem is isolated. If someone tells you to get a video of it, laugh it off. They will then tell you that you need to leave your car at the shop til the problem happens again in front of them. If your shop is anything like Scott Robinson in Torrance, CA, they put your car against a fence, far from the shop so when it does go off, no one hears.

If you do get answers, there are many of us who would love to hear about it because, despite what people say....there are answers on the internet and it is how people communicate in the 21st century.

(Rosemary, I apologize for my harsh reply. I'm so frustrated with Dodge and the moderators of this site. If you find a good mechanic with answers, please share.)

Old 09-28-2017, 07:23 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kristy67
They don't care....That's the problem. They say that they have someone working on it and they don't. I have been without a horn for over a year because I had to pull the fuse. Dodge doesn't care about their product and if they tell you they have a STAR case on it, they don't. AND if you get someone on here saying they are a case manager, don't listen. All they do is try to smooth things over and make you feel stupid by telling you that your problem is isolated. If someone tells you to get a video of it, laugh it off. They will then tell you that you need to leave your car at the shop til the problem happens again in front of them. If your shop is anything like Scott Robinson in Torrance, CA, they put your car against a fence, far from the shop so when it does go off, no one hears.

If you do get answers, there are many of us who would love to hear about it because, despite what people say....there are answers on the internet and it is how people communicate in the 21st century.

(Rosemary, I apologize for my harsh reply. I'm so frustrated with Dodge and the moderators of this site. If you find a good mechanic with answers, please share.)
I am sad to say that getting any REAL help from STAR, unless they follow a script from a key word or DTC number, is pretty rare anymore. I really don't know who these first tier people are these days, but I don't think they are former techs like it used to be. They CAN and DO escalate case to Master Consultants, who are valid and qualified techs....or seem to be anyway.

There are only a few things involved in the horn. First is horn switch under the airbag.
2nd is clockspring inside the steering column, then that signal to cluster, which sends the signal out to the TIPM and TIPM actuates the horn relay output which is not a separate relay, but a soldered one to the ckt board inside the TIPM. Replacing parts is not an option financially, but some things can be ruled out in a few hours. I do this sort of thing all day every day, but I'm in TN so there's little I can do for you from here.

You won't find any REAL techs at a dealer unless that dealer has made special arrangements to acquire and keep one or two employed there. A decent journeyman tech can't make a living with FCA anymore and the turnover is very, VERY high.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-28-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:13 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Bent clocksprings have been known to cause the horn issue. How it gets bent is beyond me.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Rosemary Simpson-McIlvaney
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kristy67

don't find your response harsh at all. It's fairly accurate. I had the two suggested software updates completed last week and my horn is still randomly going off. Will have to take the fuses out as at the moment I can't afford to explore the issue. Dealership said they were baffled by this problem.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Mandie Carroll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any luck?

Originally Posted by Frostm
Did you ever come up with a solution? We have exactly the same problem on and off for about 2 years. Dealership has done exactly the same things you have listed.
I have the same problem, did you ever get it fixed??

Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Mandie Carroll

don't find your response harsh at all. It's fairly accurate. I had the two suggested software updates completed last week and my horn is still randomly going off. Will have to take the fuses out as at the moment I can't afford to explore the issue. Dealership said they were baffled by this problem.
sounds like Dodge needs to figure it out and put out a recall to fix it! Could cause wrecks while driving if people hear the horn and are looking around for it! I have the same problem! I've owned my car for over 2 years it's occasionally honked in the middle of the night middle of the day and today it's honked while driving.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Mandie Carroll

Originally Posted by TNtech
I am sad to say that getting any REAL help from STAR, unless they follow a script from a key word or DTC number, is pretty rare anymore. I really don't know who these first tier people are these days, but I don't think they are former techs like it used to be. They CAN and DO escalate case to Master Consultants, who are valid and qualified techs....or seem to be anyway.

There are only a few things involved in the horn. First is horn switch under the airbag.
2nd is clockspring inside the steering column, then that signal to cluster, which sends the signal out to the TIPM and TIPM actuates the horn relay output which is not a separate relay, but a soldered one to the ckt board inside the TIPM. Replacing parts is not an option financially, but some things can be ruled out in a few hours. I do this sort of thing all day every day, but I'm in TN so there's little I can do for you from here.

You won't find any REAL techs at a dealer unless that dealer has made special arrangements to acquire and keep one or two employed there. A decent journeyman tech can't make a living with FCA anymore and the turnover is very, VERY high.
how do you rule out the horn switch? Other then replacing it?

Quick Reply: 2010 journey with honking issue.