Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dead battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 01:34 PM
bobjb
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem continued to frustrate me for months. I had it checked several times at the dealership. At one point they claimed it was a faulty glove box switch but the problem persisted. It seemed to be an intermittent electrical short problem. The garage did an exhaustive diagnosis and determined it was a faulty Clockspring. This is a device in the steering column that connects the various steering wheel buttons to the power supply and is supposed to accommodate the movement from the rotating steering wheel. The short of it is it was going to cost $1800. At that point I gave up on the vehicle and the dealership bought my vehicle. It had under 60,000 km on it so was not worn out. Goodbye Dodge.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:35 PM
rogschumac
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dead battery issue

Had a lot of problems the same as Mysterray. Had HVAC module replaced, had voice link module replaced, three alternators, eight batteries, over a period of 18 months. Still had problems with the headlights flickering. Dealer reflash the ECM because it controls the alternator is output. That didn’t work. finally found a new ECM on line for two Hundred dollars, and had it installed by a local Auto electric shop. Dealer wanted $800 to replace. That was in January. Have had no problems since. May want to take a serious look at the ECM. It controls the alternators output, so the battery may not be getting charged.

The following users liked this post:
mysterray516 (08-30-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:18 AM
rogschumac

Just as a followup, I’ve been dealing mostly with my local Chrysler/ Dodge/Jeep dealer for most repairs and module replacements,etc. But auto electric shop I’ve dealt with for years told me he’s seen lots of module replacements on Chrysler products just beyond warranty coverage. Just sayin...

Old 12-10-2020, 12:59 PM
PThompson
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead Battery

My battery journey with my Journey!
I have had a 2011 Journey since it was new. Overall has been a decent vehicle. December 2019 the battery was dead after sitting for a week. 8 year old battery was maybe time to be replaced. I replaced the battery (ridiculous place for a battery.) 5 days later, dead battery. Checked voltage everywhere looking for a bad wire causing drain. Ended up charging the battery if it was sitting for more than a couple of days.
I purchased a clamping amp meter from amazon to test current drain. Found that it was draining 700mA for a minute or so, then 500 mA for a minute and would settle down to 400mA which is still quite high. I came back to the car an hour later and it was still 400mA.
On this thread, I saw the reply where the bluetooth module was keeping the BCM awake. Took out the fuse for the bluetooth module and WooHoo! Current would drop to 100 mA after sitting for a while. BCM was going to sleep!
That was perfect for 6 months. Last week... dead battery. Last night, when I removed the panel to access the battery, I found that the extra plug on the negative battery post was disconnected. Research says that is is a temp sensor that also regulates charging. Fingers crossed!

jkeaton (12-10-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:41 AM
Kim Clark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by rogschumac
Same with me. reflash of ECM seems to have resolved.
Mine started suddenly ... 2 weeks ago have replaced battery and alternator .. which i found out after the fact were perfectly good ... battery drains in 8 hours or more of not driving ... had charging system checked and all is good... told me something is draining battery but they have no clue at shop ... turning everything off ... so frustrated ... jump starts quickly ... can go for a few hours and run errands ... but not overnight... No one has had any answers .. I love my dodge journey 2010 sxt have had it for 6 years .. no issues til now ... have spent almost 700$ on diagnostics and replacing battery ... installed alternator myself .. no one even mentioned ECM to me ...

Old 12-11-2020, 02:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim Clark
Mine started suddenly ... 2 weeks ago have replaced battery and alternator .. which i found out after the fact were perfectly good ... battery drains in 8 hours or more of not driving ... had charging system checked and all is good... told me something is draining battery but they have no clue at shop ... turning everything off ... so frustrated ... jump starts quickly ... can go for a few hours and run errands ... but not overnight... No one has had any answers .. I love my dodge journey 2010 sxt have had it for 6 years .. no issues til now ... have spent almost 700$ on diagnostics and replacing battery ... installed alternator myself .. no one even mentioned ECM to me ...
Read through the thread. Lots of fixes mentioned.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:04 AM
eric mitchell
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

draw test is very easy to complete, with a decent teste and a little knowledge... there are many youtube videos showing how to complete this. i have a 2010 dodge journey r/t and found the m29 fuse drawing over 2 amps when car is completely off

jkeaton (12-15-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Kiana Howard

Originally Posted by sylviawirrick1965@gmail.com
I am having the same issue with my 2013 Dodge Journey
I have been having pure problems with my 2013 journey as well have yet to figure out what is going on. I've replaced battery and everything yet still pretty much every day have to get is boosted there are some morning where it will start but most morning I have to use my other car and boost it. The Bluetooth hasn't worked for like 2 years. It will work for maybe a day then back out again for months. I have been having this problem for about 2 years I've replaced the battery and everything. Right now I'm currently out a vehicle because its at the shop and my husband needs the other car for work...

Old 12-24-2020, 09:46 PM
rogschumac
Default Dead battery issue

Years ago, cars had an alternator and a voltage regulator that directed the alternators output where needed. It kept the battery charged. Then They made the regulator part of the alternator itself. Same function, just one less part.

Now they have the engine control module which controls all the electrical flow everywhere in the car, including keeping the battery charged. You can read my earlier post about what I went thru with my
Journey. But last incident was when I noticed my headlights flickering rapidly. This was being caused by the ECM flashing on and off rapidly, and not charging the battery. Thus multiple dead batteries. I had the ECM replaced in January and no problems since. I’m a senior and sometimes don't drive the Journey but once a week and it has not given me any problems since. So I say start the car and check your headlights. Are they on steady, or do they flicker?

Old 12-28-2020, 05:14 PM
brad allen
Default Pull the radio fuse leave it out

Originally Posted by Kiana Howard
I have been having pure problems with my 2013 journey as well have yet to figure out what is going on. I've replaced battery and everything yet still pretty much every day have to get is boosted there are some morning where it will start but most morning I have to use my other car and boost it. The Bluetooth hasn't worked for like 2 years. It will work for maybe a day then back out again for months. I have been having this problem for about 2 years I've replaced the battery and everything. Right now I'm currently out a vehicle because its at the shop and my husband needs the other car for work...
something goes bad in the Factory radio happened in my 2010 Dodge Nitro years ago I pulled the fuse everything work fine eventually I installed an aftermarket radio it was perfect

Quick Reply: Dead battery issue