Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

2011 Journey locked key fob inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Sswindle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2011 Journey locked key fob inside

i bought the vehicle used and only received one key fob. Today when leaving work I unlocked the vehicle as usual by touching the handle, loaded my purse, laptop and other items into the passenger side and shut the door so I could walk around to the driver’s side and start it up. As soon as I Shut the passenger door however, the vehicle locked itself with my purse and key inside. It’s never done this and has always reminded me by honking the horn and unlocking the doors if I attempted to leave the keys in and lock it. The vehicle had to be left at my work place and my daughter had to come get me and take me home. Why would it have done this and can I get it unlocked without paying a locksmith to come unlock it?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

locksmith or tow truck driver with a lockout kit.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Sswindle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
locksmith or tow truck driver with a lockout kit.
Oh gee, I never thought of that. I obviously know I’ll probably have to get a locksmith. My concern is that it happened in the first place. Is it common? Or a problem with a sensor? Any number of things. I also searched this forum before posting my question and found nothing relevant. I did not hit any buttons closing the door, the locks locked after the door shut. Which is not supposed to happen, correct? If this is a common problem then Dodge needs to be aware and fix the issue.I was hoping there would be something I could try before spending hard earned money on a locksmith.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

It is not a common problem.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sswindle
Oh gee, I never thought of that. I obviously know I’ll probably have to get a locksmith. My concern is that it happened in the first place. Is it common? Or a problem with a sensor? Any number of things. I also searched this forum before posting my question and found nothing relevant. I did not hit any buttons closing the door, the locks locked after the door shut. Which is not supposed to happen, correct? If this is a common problem then Dodge needs to be aware and fix the issue.I was hoping there would be something I could try before spending hard earned money on a locksmith.
then ask that question "obviously". some brands have passive locking, look into it...good feature with your passive aggression

Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Capecrew04
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This same thing happen with my wife's Journey. We were told by dealer when the battery dies in the Key Fob, it will lock the car doors.

Quick Reply: 2011 Journey locked key fob inside