Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Radiator fan won't stop running not the relay

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Loakoan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator fan won't stop running not the relay

Hope someone can help. I've had success here before. Today I could not log in, even thru a password reset....
i have a 2009 Journey 3.5 AWD. Recently the rad fan came on, it was really loud, noticed it will driving. Stopped the vehicle, turned it off, fan stayed running. Toggled ignition on/off then it stopped. (Likely stopped as the engine temp wasn't crazy hot). Drove again, fan came back on. Stopped vehicle, toggling didn't work. Fan shut off in a few minutes. Took battery cable off, added a small bit of coolant. No issues for a week. Then fan issue starts up again. Have to pull relay and fuse. Get new relay. Works for a bit. Back to disconnected battery, ulling fuses and relays, etc. I'm in Canada, it's cold here. Try a second relay. Nope. Friend comes over with diagnostic reader. No codes. The fan sounds like a jet engine. It's beyond inconvenient. I have had less than stellar dealings with the dealerships in Calgary. There are a lot of issues I can live with regarding this vehicle, including no heat, in -40 temps... most problems I have found fixes for, after some looking.... I need this fixed. I have kids I transport in this vehicle. I'm leaning towards a new resistor next, as I can change it myself. I question why there seem to be two problems: why is the fan so loud? And why doesn't it turn off? I believe they are both related. I have replaced the anti freeze reservoir, due to a crack. I have also replaced the thermostat, possibly due to a radiator hole sealant that was put into the rad due to hole in the rad.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 AM
marcus defey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely fan resistor .

Quick Reply: Radiator fan won't stop running not the relay