Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Knocking noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Myers81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise in engine

I have been experiencing a "knocking" or "tapping" noise coming from my engine. When I recently received an oil change, the tech said it may be a valve lifter or rocker arm I believe he said that was causing it. he wasn't a regular Dodge mechanic and he said he wqasn't sure what kind of work would go into fixing it if this was the issue. The noise is loudest when I first start my engine and when it's cold. It also goes faster with the RPM's when I hit the accelerator. Any ideas what it may be and what would go into fixing this?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Well, lets see. You provide no information about the vehicle, so, really can't help much.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Myers81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about that. Its a 2011 Journey Crew, 3.6L V6 engine

Old 06-07-2018, 07:52 PM
djromann
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said, that could be the lifters. Could check that by installing an oil filter with valve (like Mobil 1) that doesn't allow the oil to drain into the oil pan after the engine is shut down.
But, based on the fact that it sounds louder at a cold start, you could also check the exhaust manifold bolts, they break sometimes causing a hight pitch hissing sound that goes off by heating up the engine- the exhaust fumes go out between the engine block and exhaust manifold.
Will be useful to take a vid about the issue and post it or youtube link.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise in engine