Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

my car is actually posessed

Old 08-29-2018, 10:16 AM
mamamorty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car is actually posessed

First a little bit of history......so, with a limited budget i bought a Dodge Journey 2.0 auto diesel R/T last year and I've had nothing but constant problems..... so, lovely people, I've come to pick your brains!
brand new battery in last September, the dodge kept draining for no apparent reason. It's slowly gotten worse until I had to charge it every night and even then, the charge may not last the day.
since then, the radio and blowers decide to randomly turn themselves on or off as they feel like it, gears intermittently won't engage or slip, the horn and alarm will just decide to work by themselves.... it's like driving Herbie but less fun and a lot more expensive... anyway,
I put a new battery in on Monday, drove it away, everything fine
Tuesday- car starts but the clock/radio/rear camera/sat nav.... nothing on the centre console is working.
Today is Wednesday, I can't even unlock the car, the alarm keeps going off, the battery is dead as a doornail yet when I try to charge it it's clicking, sparking, the alarm is going off.... I've had to hoik the wheel off, disconnect the battery completely and charge straight to the terminals. it's taken just two days for this twatting machine to annihilate a brand new battery!
has anyone had a similar experience? can anyone shed some light on what in the seven hells is going on with this demon car??
please help!!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like it was an accident vehicle and it is suffering from severe wiring/electrical issues due to that fact. First thing I'd do is get the charging system checked out. Alternator, wiring, etc. Go from there. They may be all related to one thing. How many miles? Do you know the history of the vehicle? Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM
mamamorty

Thanks for the reply 😊 It's done about 115000 miles, thereabouts. I have a full service and MOT history but it doesn't refer to any accident.... It's interesting you should say that, when I bought it there appeared to be oil patches on the engine cover and I did ask if there's been any troubles with pumps or if it had been in an accident but they said no.
since having the car I discovered that the dealer hadn't performed the checks they claimed to.... New fuel filter, EGR valve and the air inlet pipe was duct taped together 😡
I've thrown it back to the finance company so hopefully I can get rid of it but in the meantime it's my only car and I live out of town so I need it running 😢

Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM
mamamorty

Oh, I also meant to say that the alternator is fine, that was the first thing I asked my mechanic to check lol

Old 08-29-2018, 11:35 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get rid of it if you can, if it has electrical problems you may never get the demons in the car sorted out.

The following users liked this post:
JouneyNightmare (04-22-2020)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 AM
mamamorty

Originally Posted by ZEN357
Get rid of it if you can, if it has electrical problems you may never get the demons in the car sorted out.
Yes, that's my fear 😥 thanks for replying, imimI Hoping that the finance company will make them replace it

Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Could be as simple as a bad ground somewhere in the charging system. Battery, starter, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM
mamamorty

To be honest, I'm not sure I want them to repair it now.... My confidence in the car is gone.
if I can get it running until they decide whether they're going to replace it then I'll just get rid as soon as

Old 08-29-2018, 03:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

This is a chance you take purchasing a used vehicle. Any use vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my car is actually posessed