Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Question for those who have repainted their Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
bossman284
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for those who have repainted their Magnum

I have an 05 Magnum that I am considering repainting. It is currently silver and I'm thinking of going red. My question is to those that have repainted their car... how big a project is this? I really would like this to be as complete a repaint as possible. I don't want to end up with a red car with silver door jams and things like that. So just how much of my car are they going to have to take apart? Any idea of what something like this would cost?

Any input on this process would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM
darkrt
Professional
Default RE: Question for those who have repainted their Magnum

Really depends on how far you want to take it and how much you want to spend. All lights are coming out ,wheather stripping,door panels, handles,etc.etc. Or a cheaper way. Mask everything and paint around it. This I would not recommend.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:30 PM
bossman284
Amateur

Thanks for the reply. Knowing myself, I think I would opt for the taking all the lights out and stripping the doors down. Obviously every place is different, but any rough idea what this would cost?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
darkrt
Professional

A quality paint job done right, where the car is stripped down and preped right. Painted one color. In your case,everything thats silver becomes red. Your looking at $3000.00 to $4000.00.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:44 AM
custompainter99

Actually a good way is to have the shop sand down your factory paint and use it as a base. the reason: 1) they have a corrosion coating (e-coat) then a baked on primer followed by a baked on finish. very durable, very good as a base as long as you dont go 2-3 repaints then you're taliking stripping. With a silver car, you could use that as a killer base for a candy apple red (or something similar) topcoat which requires a silver base anyway. I've done that before on silver cars and it actually is the better way because the factory silver metallicis very uniform perfect for a custom paint job......Hope this helps

Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Hemi_guy

Just a thought, did you consider buying a red Magnum? That way you could avoid the whole painting issue. I think the silver is a nice color as it is, it blends very well with chrome accents in my opinion. If I were you, I'd wait a couple more months and see you don't end up happy with the silver and save 3k in the process. Whatever your decision is, I hope all turns out well.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have repainted their Magnum