Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SXT vs. RT

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 PM
shiltz
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SXT vs. RT

ORIGINAL: Redhouse

As an SXT owner you RT guys crack me up. Come on, the SXT is not that slow or that bad. Give credit were credit is do. The SXT is a awesome everyday car. Besides, were can you drive the RT that lets you really open it up. Car and Driver tested a SXT and said it ran 15's on the quarter mile at 89 mph and 0 to 60 was 7 seconds.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
while the 3.5 is a good engine it's not that good, there is definatly something wrong with their numbers, 0-60 in 7.0? I don't think so, that same engine in an intrepid was only good for 0-60 in around 8 second and intrepid was a few hundred pounds lighter, every review i've seen on the SXT has said 0-60 in the 8.5 second range and 1/4 mile in the 16.5 second range, maybe under absolute perfect conditions, altitude, tempurature, humidity, etc, and a perfect launch and you take out some of the exta weight like the spare you may be able to get just under 16 seconds, but under those same conditions an RT can get under 14 seconds, best i've seen for a stock RT is 13.8, it's not like were talking a small difference between the 3.5 and the 5.7 in power, the difference is huge, 90hp and 140lb-ft of torque, 4-5k on a supercharger and you may be able to get the hp up to that of the 5.7, but you still won't have the torque, and then you are still stuck with the chystler designed 4 speed which is no where near as good as the mecedes designed 5 speed in the RT and the AWD models.

Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

ALL the magnums are nice, no matter which model you buy.

For us speed freaks, we opt to get the RT.

I always go for the biggest engine, when buying cars or motorcycles.

At age 64, I still have the need for speed. :-)

Bob born with a lead foot

Old 09-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Scott P

Since I've always been a big fan of going fast, it looks like an RT is going to be my choice. It's only money.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Blanchman

I have a sort of similar experience about this I'd like to relay. Maybe its apples and oranges, but it is telling...

Years back when first purchasing my first dreaded SUV, I was going thru the trades trying to make a half-way informed decision about what to get. This was 1996, so, awhile back. I decided a Ford Explorer was the ticket, and read up about it. ALL the trades said that the V6 was adequate, powerful, and the V8 was really not that much of an improvement, except it got worst gas milage. If i remember, the HP figures where like 195 HP for the V6, and 225 HP for the V8. (please don't quote me on those)

So, I opted for the V6. What a bad decision that was.

These vehicles, although from the same manufacturer, are not even related.

The V6 was rough, noisy, raucous, rev happy, obnoxiois, and the tranny went out from towing, although it was well rated.

I replaced it with a V8 model a few years later.

The V8 was smooth, torguey, low RPM, beautiful sounding, and powerful. It towed like a dream, and has not blown its tranny in over 100K so far. Yes, I did put a Borla exhaust on it... O.o... what a sweet sound.

I think from now on I will always opt for the V8, unless gas prices get totally out of control !

Old 09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
joseph
Rookie

I'm getting the RT, why?, because I plan on supercharging an getting high 400 HP [:@]and high 4 sec. 0-60, will you ever be able to do that with the SXT, I think not
And don't start talking about reliability, because the intercooled ATI procharger is the only choice for me.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:09 PM
pablovision

In Canada the difference is over $6000 to upgrade to the RT, my comment on the "can I see the HEMI" statement is simply this, there's nothing to see other than a big piece of plastic. I'm not trying to justify my SXT purchase but one thing I'd want to do is rip that thing off to see a real engine which the HEMI is.

Take a look at the 3.5, it's all engine and actually something to look at, it roars better than most V6's can and although no V8 it's damn good.

Both are good it's just unfortunate that they even considered the 2.7 and YES you R/T folks my motto is go big or go home even though I went half way it's still big.

You can quote me here that the SXT will outsell the R/T in Canada and the R/T will outsell in the US. Why? gas prices and a crooked insurance industry north of the boarder. Unfortunately most of the aftermarket parts are developed in the US so I don't expect to see much for the SXT to beef it up.

Hope I don't offend any, these rock as no other vehicle has for me since my 69 Nova SS 454 (obviously not factory as they only came with a 396)

Paul.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Scott P

I don't see the RT outselling the SXT. I think the majority of Magnum buyers will be more concerned with the practicality of the car rather than brute performance. The performance buyers are a smaller demographic. It just looks bigger on forums since those are the people looking for more information.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:48 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Houston the SXT is outselling the Hemi over 2 to 1 for obvious reasons, fuel economy and vehicle price. People like the style and the 3.5 performs alright even if it is in a 2 ton car! Everybody that wants to see my car first wants to see the interior and cargo space and about 1 out of 4 ask if it has a Hemi or not. I have owned all sorts of muscle cars from the Hemicuda and Superbird, my old Dodge truck wtih the old 361 Hemi in it, '68 Roadrunner (engine built by Ramchergers in MI), not to mention the OTHER car manufacturers musclecars, so I am very familiar with power. The R/T is definitely a vehicle to be rockoned with and if I was only interested in power, that would have been my choice. I AM doing some mods on the 3.5 (K&N filter-for now, dual exhaust, modified throttle body(custom job-may go in to production on them by the end of the year), currently working w/360 Air Intakez on a CAI for the 3.5L. The greatest drawback I see with the 3.5 is the computer progamming which really kills the engine in the lower powerband. Hopefully there will be some chip mods avialable for ALL the Magnums before long. Anyway, enough rambling, the Magnum is an awesome ride no matter which engine you get. Enjoy it and buy what is suitable for your needs, no matter if it is for just style or a combo of style and speed, the Magnum is the right choice.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
shiltz
Captain

in mass I think the SXT may outsell the RT, but it's more because of availiabilty, there's probably 1 RT delivered per 6-8 SXT's, the RT's don't sit on the lots more than a week, when I bought my I called the dealer, the one in their inventory from when it was updated that morning was gone, they did get 2 more in off the truck a few hours before I called, one was already sold and I bought the other, the SXT's on the other hand sit on the lot a while and usualy they are the only ones there as the RT's sell so fast, once supply of the RT catches up with demand i'm pretty sure it will outsell the SXT and SE, I think so far on the 300's it was close to 50% that were hemi's so far.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:09 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Dude, let me introduce you to the period >"."<[sm=smiley20.gif]