Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Exhaust reverberation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Lonemagnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust reverberation?

New boy--Silver RT--loaded--Didn't want convenience package but loved the car and price. I traded a 2002 Dakota and got top dollar so I endure the roof rack. The site helped me in my exhaust conversion...we removed the muffler added two magnaflow mufflers and cut out the two resonators--topped it off with 3.5 18inch stainless steel tips. Power is still great--love the sound but at2700rpms in 2nd gear the rear hatchback door vibrates somuch it ruins the sound. This hatch also vibrates when I go over a bump. My hope is its the hatch and not the need for glass packs or exhaust changes. All ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:56 AM
mrsstrike
Default RE: Exhaust reverberation?

I an give 2 you 2 case exampels.. one of my own and another one floating here around here.

as for me I removed the muffler and rezenoater and went with flowmaster 40's.. i LOVED the HOT rod sound (think POTATO-POTATO-POTATO-POTATO-POTATO-POTATO-POTATO).. BUT at 2500rpm under light throttle it rezonated through the entire car and became annoying real fast. For me 2500 rpm = 75 mph is at common crusing speed. So I added 2 17" glass packs in addation to the Flow master 40's. Now it sounds like Potato-potato-potato-potato-potato. The sound is there but quiter, and ZERO resonance.

If I could do it again id run with 12" glass packs to the flowmasters (like a fellow member here) simply because I enjoy the sound and willing to put up with a little nuisance. If i was married Id run with the 17" glass packs because anything more would be over kill.

chad

Old 09-17-2004, 03:32 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Sounds like your real problem is the rear hatch, it should not rattle.

I am running the Flowmaster 40's with no resonators in the rear, it isn't too bad, but I may add the shorty mufflers or resonators in the future.

Bob

Old 09-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Lonemagnum

Resonation was not a hatch problem but typical exhaust vibration. It occurs only from 2000 to 2300 rpms and only in 2nd gear. The pro at Magnaflow made two suggestions. Try the 18 inch oval -mine is 14 inch or install an air intake system. I'm going to give it some miles befor I try either as it is easy to live with. Love the sound and the performance--all in put is appreciated. I put on a black pinstripe with small r/t I like it. I also covered the head lights and fogs with clear 3m for sand blast protection.

Quick Reply: Exhaust reverberation?