Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

No tranny dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:38 PM
joseph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No tranny dipstick?

Hey dodgemech: Stock cars are for average people who don't know jack about cars, my magnum will get magnaflow, resonator delete and high flow air intake, so you can keep your waranty.
For you degree designing guys, I guess making the car user-friendly is not a priority.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:26 AM
henry
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Bulvot

BTW - for those in the DC/VA/MD area, I may be willing to host a "tech day" at my modest personal shop. I only have two lifts plus an alignment rack, but I'm sure we can rotate through them as needed. My tool collection is equally as modest, but I get by. Somehow

-Bulvot
Thanks Bulvot. It's people like you that make it pleasurable to own one of these cars.
Next time I'm in the DC area (which will be soon) I'll try to look you up - where's your shop?

And to Dodgemech - I respect your position as a representative of your dealership. I respect that you have more than your fair share of idiots who screw up their vehicles and demand that DCX pay for their mistakes and bone headed mods. However you should respect our position that we ought to empower ourselves through the accumulation of knowledge and the sharing of information in an enthusiast's forum such as this. They are our cars to do with as we please. We have the right to make them unique if we decide to. If we screw up then we'll pony up to repair our mistakes. Enthusiasts such as ourselves will help sell these cars. Alienating us will accomplish nothing.

Peace all.
(And what's wrong with having tree huggers in office and demanding more than 20 mpg?)

Old 09-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Bulvot
Default .

Old 09-29-2004, 12:45 PM
ParrotSquawk

ORIGINAL: farhawk

Hello All,
I have heard that new vehicles will some day have the entire hood locked down and sealed! I can't imagine that. I for one hate to take any car to any dealer for repair or maintenance work other than warranty repair. I realize that there are good dealer service shops but in my experience the cost is too high. Besides, I love to do my own maintenance. If a screw up happens it is my fault. I don't have a problem with that. Thumbs down on the dipstick decision.
...and you will have to buy a fuel contract because the filler door will require a metric adjustable wrench to open it, only available at authorized fuel dealers....

I agree. This is getting a bit out of hand. I wouldn't know HOW to change my tranny fluid. I have never changed my own oil filter. I have no intention to. However, I learned to monitor tranny levels becuase I had a cracked transfer case (very small) that cost me 2 trannies on my Suburban (was I a NOOB!!)

If and when I get my Magnum, I am going to make sure that the local dealer KNOWS how to use his diagnostic tools and will check the tranny fluid on MY schedule (every oil change.) If he won't...I will be making appointments for "slipping trannny" every few months...

Old 09-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Rally Mike

( SIGH) Not having a tranny dipstick is not that big a deal. At least you can get one and access the fluid if you must.
Audi's and VW's have had sealed auto trannies since '97. No service interval stated in the owner's manual and none required until it FAILS. Then you simply replace it with a rebuilt item for $1500 or so. [:@] Ask me how I know.

I'm in line for a hemi Magnum in PA. I may delay my purchase until I can drive an AWD version. Any opinions?

Hey Bulvot, that's a great idea for a tech day. I'll come down for that, Leesburg is only 90 minutes from Carlisle. As far as a sponsor, check with Fair Oaks Dodge, they have a new showroom in Chantilly. I don't know how involved they are in that sort of customer interaction. I used to get Sterling MINI and BMW involved in Autocross sponsorship when I was on the BOD for the WDCR-SCCA.

I recently saw that Cumberland Valley Motors in Carlisle was a sponsor for the Hershey Vintage Hillclimb. They may want to do something more connected to "current" models.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:10 PM
via500
Professional

I'm in line for a hemi Magnum in PA. I may delay my purchase until I can drive an AWD version. Any opinions?
That's exactly where I'm at. And I'm now a little more negative than positive on it, since I've had my Mercedes since 1987 I want to explore all the options fully therefore it seems silly not to wait and drive one. What makes me negative - when the MB transfer cases leak and then soon after the light goes on you pay $2500 to fix it (4-Matics).

Old 09-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Rally Mike

What makes me negative - when the MB transfer cases leak and then soon after the light goes on you pay $2500 to fix it (4-Matics).
You'd think they would have a grip on that by now. But there's a lot of negativity coming out lately about MB quality (and BMW's cockiness, Audi's continued lack of resale value, etc.) Good on Dodge, they seem to be on the righteous path, let's hope they don't get a swelled head.

Anyone here read www.autoextremist.com? If you don't, check it out for an insiders view of Detroit and the auto industry. New columns every Wednesday.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:18 AM
moooboy

Gimme a break Dodgemech,I'm not trying to attack you but everyone knows dealerships are greedy gougers that want every car buyer to bring their car back for the littlest stuff to make a BIG buck.We have been checking and changing our tranny fluid for many deacdes with little problems.People that dont know how to work on their cars,take them to someone who does.I personally have done many ground up restorations and probably have more skills than most the guys at your dealership and I am a "backyard mechanic" as you would call it.So they should give us a freaking dipstick to check it and what pissed me off was those POS hood props on a 28k magnum I bought.You have to buy an R/T to get 20 dollar hood struts,Gougers i say.After buying my Magnum and while i love the car,I'll be hard pressed to buy another "new" Chrysler product again and I am a mopar fanatic.A 3 year old can check a tranny first thing in the morning when its cold or hot whatever the requirements are.You guy talk about things have to be worked on by a dealer,like your gods or something.Its not brain surgery if you have basic mechanicall skills and common sense.But dealers want everyone to think they have a 200 IQ and no one else can works on their cars,BS.Your not any smarter than anyone else here,dont be a victim of your own hype and stupidity.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
grateful_hemi

Hmmm. I had the kid at the shop check my tranny fluid...as it's leaking.

The care was out side....he started it up, opened the hood check it right there....no scanner or anything.

Now, that's not to say the Tranny temp may not have been visible on my LED display. I know there's a way to pull up 'tech' info...just not sure if it includes tranny temps.

With that said...just because MB owners may me dumb as a brick...that doesn't mean all car owners are!

(btw- I owned an '85 500 SEL - GREAT car!)

Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Pennsymagnumguy

Actually, you can buy the dipstick to check the level with, it's incremented in mm. I'll have to search where to get it. Oh, and it only costs $75, that's right, $75 for a dipstick.

Here it is: http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...mp;ProdID=7029

I was mistaken, it only costs $73.09. Must be on sale! LOL

Quick Reply: No tranny dipstick?