Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

No tranny dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
spiral72
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read all the replies to this.... But I too think it's Dang STOOPID! that my Magnum is tranny dipstick delete!

With that being said. I just called and ordered one from the local dealership. It cost $6. I verified the year, model and engine with the parts guy a second time to make sure I wasn't getting a dipstick for a ummmm, I dunno 78 Magnum or something.

I'm going to pick it up Monday. We'll see.... I hope he didn't sell me a replacement tube cap that says, "Dealer servicable only"

Last edited by spiral72; 02-13-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
65standard
All Star

i don't know what your parts guys ordered for you, but there is no dipstick that works with this trans. there is only a measuring tool that's marked every 10mm off the bottom of the pan. then you can refer to a chart to know what level at what oil temperature.

for example: at 180* trans oil temp, the level should be 70mm.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM
spiral72
Rookie

Well, I forgot to pick it up yesterday after work, but I just called and it has come in. I asked the guy if it was in fact a dipstick and he said "Yep" so we'll see in about 2 hours.

I'm still not expecting much.... It can't be this easy right?

"""......there is only a measuring tool that's marked every 10mm off the bottom of the pan. then you can refer to a chart to know what level at what oil temperature.
for example: at 180* trans oil temp, the level should be 70mm. """""

I'm not sure what your talking about, but if you're right I'm pretty sure it'll make sense when I pick it up.

Let y'all know tomorrow.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
65standard
All Star

the correct dipstick is a miller tool measuring stick that you bottom out in the trans pan, read the level marked on the stick, and read the trans fluid temp, then compare that info with a chart.

here is the miller trans tool...
http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=1322

Old 02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
spiral72
Rookie

Well, I made it to the dealership to pick up my trans dipstick. It looked amazingly like a motor oil dipstick, cause IT WAS!

After asking for what I wanted and checking he understood me, he ordered the wrong part. I got another guy that is supposed to actually have a clue.... He said I needed a????

Miller special tool. But we didn't know that did we? It cost $65. I'll probably buy one. It'd be pretty stupid to frag a transmission because I let the oil get low because I DIDN'T TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP TO CHECK MY TRANNY FLUID!

Anyways, 65standard.... I didn't doubt you, and I didn't expect to get the right part, but I had to try.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Al Briggs
Rookie
Default Transmission dipstick, or lack thereof

My transmission was leaking. I though it was from the pan and because of the "sealed system," I was told that I had to take the car to the dealer. Calls to two dealers resulted in being told that I needed the 30K transmission service...at a cost of $250 at one place, and $150 at the other.

Once at the dealer, I wasw told that the problem wasn't the pan, but the o-ring on the sensor. The original o-ring was found to deteriorate and Dodge has since changed the material used to make the o-ring. In summary, I spent just over $150 to get a 25-cent o-ring replaced.

The technician used a special tool to remove the cap (I wish I would have gone out to see that process) to check the fluid level as he refilled the transmission. I did note that he used what appeared to be a very long wire to check the level. It looked to be about 6 feet long and did not fully insert into the transmission. He looked like he just bottomed it out, removed it, and checked the level. I'm assuming that there were marks on the wire.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

ok i am also damm pee off about the whole no dipstick. anyways i am sure most who actually try this actually have the basic howto to do the job. regardless going around this issue due im a refrigeration tech as my main job.

Caint you get a accurate temperature reading using a k type sensor strapped to the the supply or return hose to the cooler? or even somehow at or near the sensor that the scan tool reads? im sure having a 10k tool vs a simple thermometer aint that hard? graph would be my next question in actually getting that printed. and then the tool.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

read another forum jeep that one guy attached a thermometer sensor to the end of the dipstick. taking the temperature that way. said the sensor for the scan tool located in the drain pan area anyways.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
VulchieGoodness

Originally Posted by dodgemech
Hey Mr. engineer, do you know you cannot tell anything from trans smell. If the fluid "smells" like the trans is toast, you would already know that. The difference is between hot/cold is huge. If you filled a car to full hot when it was stone cold, it would have shifting concerns within a day. The difference between full cold and full hot is over a quart.

I could say the same about your tone, because you went to college does mean you even have the abuility to check tire pressure.

You have to admit it seems quite arrogant to say; if a bunch factory trained techs with decades of experience can do this, so can I, a college graduate and shadetree mechanic.

If you just bring it in when you are supposed to (it's in the owners manual) then there will not be any failures as a result of lack of maintence.
its one thing to shell out $$ for a new magnum. its another to expect people to not be able to do basic maintenance and checks themselves. We are dodge owners, for goodness sake. attribute us with a bit of credit.
My good friend owns a Magnum, and i have seen the number of times and the insane amount of $$ he has to shell out for basic service. its crazy that its only dealership serviceable. why anyone would buy a dealer -serviceable only vehicle is beyond me, and he says its the biggest mistake hes ever made. aside from his ex-wife.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
ok i am also damm pee off about the whole no dipstick. anyways i am sure most who actually try this actually have the basic howto to do the job. regardless going around this issue due im a refrigeration tech as my main job.

Caint you get a accurate temperature reading using a k type sensor strapped to the the supply or return hose to the cooler? or even somehow at or near the sensor that the scan tool reads? im sure having a 10k tool vs a simple thermometer aint that hard? graph would be my next question in actually getting that printed. and then the tool.
Oh yeah, revive that 2+ year old thread like a baws!

Quick Reply: No tranny dipstick?