Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

No tranny dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 PM
joseph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No tranny dipstick?

I don't have a magnum RT yet, but I've heard that there is no transmission dipstick [:-] for us to check/refill the tranny?
If true, this gotta be the most retarded thing I've heard so far from a manufacturer intentionally F*****G with us.
Is the dealer the only place they can change the tranny fluid?

Old 09-18-2004, 11:21 PM
HemiMag
Veteran
Default RE: No tranny dipstick?

Right now...YEP!

Kinda stinks....

Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
joseph
Rookie

Dodge lost my vote on that one.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:18 AM
via500
Professional

It wasn't Dodge that did it it was Daimler/Chrysler as in the Mercedes engineers that had their say on the Magnum - you do recall you did get the MB tranny and cruise/signal stalks didn't you? Mercedes first deleted the dipsticks on the 1998 Mercedes cars also equipped with FSS (Foolish Service Program) - I won't get into that other than they were sued and lost. We all got the court papers extending our engine waranties. Anyway the dipstick delete was to prevent owners from over/under filling the trans due to (I guess) a lot of dumb as a brick owners who couldn't figure it out. Anyway what Mercedes didn't publish is that a service tool could be ordered whose purpose was to check the level. You remove the cap and insert the tool just like a dipstick - how do you think the service dept does it? Now the Mercedes sealing cap on the end of the trans dipstick pipe isn't like the Dodge version - the MB one has a red indicator that breaks off to rat on any owner that removes it - but smart owners could buy a NEW cap. Still I'd bet that Dodge has a service dipstick tool in it's parts list somewhere that performs the same function. You could try one for a car like our C280 SPort - it's a flexible cable like rod with a plastic whip on the end but no telling if the length is the same.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:42 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, we have a dipstick in the service dept. Please don't try and buy one to check your own fluid, leave it to the dealer. You don't have the ability to properly check it (unless you also bought a 10K dollar STARSCAN). The fluid is not hot or cold, there are specific temps that correlate to spots on the dipstick. Overfilling causes foaming and aeration (not good), underfilling causes excessive heat and loss of prime/lubrication problems. There are some things best left to trained professionals.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 AM
MagnumFreak
Rookie

So... all of a sudden we are too stupid to check transmission fluid levels. Are you sure that we are smart enough to check oil in our cars??? I guess all of those millions of other cars on the road are just doomed. Sounds like a lame excuse to get people back to the dealerships for "proper" service. Could someone please help me..... I am not sure how to pump gas into my car. Should I take it back to the dealership?? D'oh!

Old 09-19-2004, 12:35 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

I noticed that funny plug in the trans tube the other day, while I was trying to reinstall the HEMI engine cover. I can see why the dealer wants you to bring it back in to check the tranny fluid, but I don't have to like it.

I am sure that someone will come out with a device to check the fluid, so us "DUMB" owners don't screw it up.

Is that why DODGE didn't put in an underhood light for us? Because we don't belong under the hood?

Maybe that is why they didn't give us a locking gas door, because we are too dumb to figure out how to use it.

But I still love my Magnum RT,

Bob

Old 09-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Bulvot
Default .

Old 09-19-2004, 02:08 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Just an FYI - the same situation is on ALL the Magnums, SE and SXT also do not have a dipstick so it is not just because it being a MB tranny. Looks like they don't want anyone doing any service to their vehicles. I think I'll just start stopping by my dealership on a weekly basis to have them check my transmission fluid just to irritate them as much as I am over this innane bs.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:19 PM
joseph
Rookie

How much would a dealer charge for a tranny fluid change? and what kind of cheap-*** fluid would they use? (we all know that's what they'll use, that's why I do everything myself)

I always do mine after the first 2000 miles and then every 10,000 miles thereafter, I like to keep my fluids clean.
I always change the tranny fluid on cars and I have done so for the past 15 years, but with the magnum I don't know if I'll be able to.

Quick Reply: No tranny dipstick?