Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

lower body

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007 | 05:16 PM
randy199675
Default lower body

Hello all,

I may be supposed to place this post on the "handling" section of the forum, but what the heck. I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit springs on my 2005 R/T. I also went from the stock Continental 225/65's to the Kumho 255/45's. And to top it off, the car has settled out and ended up lower than the Pro-Kit's estimated.The car looks great but it seems lower than I expected. Has anyoneelse experienced a greater drop with the Pro-Kits? I don't want toput the stock springs back on, but I am dragging in a lot of places.The bottom of the lower body is probably 3 to 4 inches off theflat ground. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-26-2007 | 06:57 PM
Magmania
Veteran
Default RE: lower body

Hey Randy,
I think the prokit says a max drop of about 1.75"?
I have the prokit springs on mine. I have never measured the clearance but I will do that here later today and let you know what mine is.

As far as dragging (especially in the mid section of the car) I have experienced that on some places where it transitions from asphalt to sidewalk to driveways and on some speed bumps.
You will have to learn to recognize these potential spots and adjust your driving as needed. I have noticed also that if I am carrying 4 adults it's more likely to occur. I have to tell everyone to get outor wait to get in until I drive over it.
I'll post again later to tell you what my clearance is.

Old 06-26-2007 | 08:05 PM
randy199675

MagMania,

Thanks for the reply. Although you have 20" wheels and I have the stock 18" your car looks very similar to mine in stance and height. And you are definitely right about carrying four friends around. My brother's house is off of a culdesac and his driveway rises sharply as it leaves the asphalt. I had to make him get out of the back seat so I could get over it. I usually try to hit those spots at an angle so that the middle of the car does not stay flush with the highest point of the incline. But, it does not always work.

Have you had any damage to the exhaust, frame, or painted lower body as you have made contact with the road? Also, do you notice more bounce at interstate speeds when you travel onto and off of a bridge or overpass since installing the Pro-Kit? It may have just been I-95 through VA but the car felt like a rollercoaster going over some bridges at 75-80 mph.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2007 | 09:21 PM
Magmania
Veteran

Okay ...I'm back. As far as clearance, at the point right behind my front splash guard it's 5", midway down it's 5.25", and just before the rear well it's 5.5".

As far as damage, nothing major. I have yet to hit any place doing normal speeds (i.e. 25-65mph). Usually I'm inching my way and when I feel contact I stop and put her in reverse.
It's not so bouncy. The ride is stiffer and small potholes feel like large ones, and large ones feel like someone just fired a cannon at you.
I have hit some and bottomed out on the fronts and actually put small creases in the fenders at the tops of my front wheel well edges.

If you can adjust your driving it will be well worth it. The cars demeanor and appearance is a 1000 times better with the car lowered.

Good Luck. And oh yeah. We would love to see some pictures of your car. ...we like pictures!

Old 06-27-2007 | 01:54 AM
65standard
All Star

i have the sportlines. there is about 3 1/4" clearance on the side. i have to use a special aluminum race car jack to lift it. a regular floor jack won't fit under the car.

Old 06-27-2007 | 02:00 AM
Magmania
Veteran

I had to use my factory supplied jack recently and it just did fit under on a rear tire changeout.
I guess I had better try it under my front side so I'll know.

Quick Reply: lower body