Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Who has RT exhaust sorted out

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 10:44 PM
mplatt911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has RT exhaust sorted out

Hi all, Newbie here. My AWD RT will be coming in withing the next few days. I want to put an exhaust on it right away and have been reviewing posts. Who has one sorted out? It is our family car. I want it loud but not resonating while highway driving. Can any one tell me what is out there working? Too cheap to spend $900 on a Borla and Magnaflow has not released theirs yet. I think I can do well at a custom exhaust shop if I know what to tell them to use.
Thanks

Old 10-07-2004, 10:52 AM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: Who has RT exhaust sorted out

Replace the factory "suitcase" muffler with Flowmaster series 40 mufflers, remove the stock resonators by rear bumper, replace those with two shorty glasspacks or straight through resonators, be sure to reuse the factory chrome tips.

Been there, done that.

Bob

Old 10-08-2004, 01:10 PM
mplatt911

Thanks!!
I recently spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a magnaflow salesperson. Really appreciated it from them. The, to be released, magnaflow setup utilizes a dual in/out crossover muffler in place of the suitcase and two small mufflers in the rear. The whole system is 2.5" tubing instead of stock 2.25" .The sound clips sound good.

Since it will take too long for it to be released, and no price yet, he recommended the following route to try and replicate it.

Using stock 2.25" tubing: The Hemi engine naturally has some resonation and the best place for resonators is where the suitcase is and small mufflers in the rear.

Using 2.5" replicate as stated above. Use part #'s 14468 for crossover muffler and #14377 for rear mufflers and add #35136 for the tips. Sounds like it could be a tad expensive though.

Either way, sounds like staright pipes out the back is not the way to go .
Mike

Old 10-08-2004, 03:58 PM
MAGNUM8R
Rookie

Just to let you know, Gibson Performance in Corona, CA has had my RT all this week for R&D. They have developed the required fixtures, and tested the prototype system on my Magnum. I pick it up today with the stock system back on until the production units are available in a few weeks. They also did a crossover, removed the suitcase and both resonators in the rear.
The muffler they created is free flow, there will be 2, and pipes after that right out the rear. Really nice big round slash tips too!
I don't know the cost yet, mine are free for the R&D. They are also developing headers!!!
Their website is www.gibsonperformnace.com

Old 10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
mplatt911

Why are all the exhaust people on the west coast? I'd certainly offer up my AWD RT for testing, when it comes in. Being 3000 miles away from California is a problem ...ouch

Old 10-09-2004, 02:08 PM
MagnumRT
Captain

Just remember that if you go to 2.5 inch tubing, you might gain a few horsepower, but at the risk of losing some torque.

I would rather have the torque, that is what moves a heavy car.

Bob

Old 10-09-2004, 07:03 PM
MagnumFreak
Rookie

There is more than enough back pressure supplied by the cats to keep the low end torque up there. I essentially have a straight through system (aero turbines)on my magnum and the performance rocks. 0-60 times are running about 5.5 seconds instead of the 6.2 from the factory. I also have the 360 air intakez system on the car so this helps the performance also.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:52 AM
ParrotSquawk
Default RE: RT Exhausts in FL

OK..I admit my ignorance.

Where can I get the exhaust done in Palm Beach (FL) area?
Can you really go to Midas and get this kind of work or do I need to find a speed shop?

Old 10-12-2004, 01:07 PM
MagnumRT
Captain
Default RE: RT Exhausts in FL

Any exhaust shop can do it for you, look in the yellow pages, try to find one that does custom work. See if they list the brand of mufflers you want to install.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 10-14-2004, 10:43 PM
drno

easy fix --just remove the rear mufflers/ resonators weld in a section of pipe with a 3 1/2 inch tip. cheap , sounds like the rt in the tv ads and no excessive interior noise--

Quick Reply: Who has RT exhaust sorted out