Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Tie Rod Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
LLroomtempJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod Issues

I recently took my 05 se to firestone autocare to get an alignment done (I purchased a lifetime alignment deal because I was zealous) and much to my dismay (after three hours of waiting) I was told that the alignment could not be done.

The tech said that I had "play" in my tie rods and that they would have to be replaced before I could have the alignment done. He said that this is a fairly common problem with the magnums, chargers and 300s since they all have the same steering setup.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The cost for the entire "tie rod" deal would be about $450. He didn't have the parts, so I was able to walk away (front left and front right tie rods would've cost about $200 from firestone - labor was about $250).

The tech told me that I wouldn't have to worry about dying as a result of play in my tie rods, however, the "play" would certainly affect my tire/suspension/steering life.

I've put about 30k on my car since purchasing it, and I can clearly see the wear bar in my continentals. People say that I don't have much longer to go before I need to replace my tires. My suspension and steering feel fine...but then again, I don't have anything to measure them against.

Would this be a repair that I (a complete newbie) could do myself, or would I do well to just pay the $450?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
65standard
All Star
Default RE: Tie Rod Issues

i had this problem with my silver magnum. the dealer replaced both tie rods under warranty.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
god_complx
Professional
Default RE: Tie Rod Issues

I also had this, but they charged me for the alignment. So I would recommend taking it to the dealer, and then going to get your alignment for free! Maybe then also get the new tires with the 450 u save, as winter is coming!

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Issues