Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

How can I tell if my car has been in an accident.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
mjoolnar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my car has been in an accident.

Help, I was told today there has been a ton of work done to the front of my car by a certified Dodge mechanic. He stated that he knew this due to the fact that a number of the parts had yellow markings on them, indicating that they were replacement parts. Is this true?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 AM
Magmania
Veteran
Default RE: How can I tell if my car has been in an accident.

Don't know about the yellow stickers part but for a fee you can get your cars history at carfax.com I believe.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:43 AM
magmagnum
Rookie

Check all of the bolt heads , there will be paint worn off if they have been used. Also , check for any paint lines /overspray in the door jams /under hood areas. Don`t get to worried , even if it has been wrecked, as long as it was repaired correctly , you should have no problems with it...we do it everyday at our shop.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Birdman

Look at your title and registration. Here in Illinois it will state "rebuilt vehicle", "salvage vehicle" , or something similar. However, if the accident and subsequent repairs were not reported to the state (accident form) it may not show up there. Don't forget to get a second opinion if you have any doubts. If the vehicle was involved in an accident it should have been stated on the bill of sale. If it was in an accident and the seller did not inform you, it is at a minimum fraud and you have recourse in every state.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:49 PM
magmagnum
Rookie

The only reason anything would show up on the title , would be if it had been re-built. I`d guess 90% of all cars on the road have had SOME damage to them , at one time or another. Like I said , it`s not a big deal , unless it was MAJOR damage that was not repaired correctly.

If the car was in a minor front end collision , the bumper and hood could have easily been damaged , to the point of needing to be replaced. I`d much rather have that , then have them fixed , and full of body filler.

As to the yellow marks on the inside of the parts...the salvage yards do use them to mark what the part fits , so it`s very likely that`s what you`re seeing.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Strykker
Professional

ORIGINAL: Magmania

Don't know about the yellow stickers part but for a fee you can get your cars history at carfax.com I believe.
Be mindful that CARFAX is only able to give you information on anything that was reported. If a car was repaired and the owner paid the cost v. insurance company the report could be misleading. I checked on a car a friend was going to purchase and noticed overspray on the lower door and upon further inspection I ended up telling the salesman it had been repaired. The CARFAX report had no notation about it.

CARFAX and visual and if possible 2nd look by third party is always advisable.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:26 PM
mjoolnar

Had to return it to the dealer. It had definitely been in accident. So now I am back with a minivan. I am now looking for an SRT-8. Anyone drive one of these in the snow? How difficult is it to control in the snow?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
magmagnum
Rookie

So they took it back ....?

What did they tell you when you confronted them on it?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:51 AM
mjoolnar

Yes, they took it back. They did not put up any flack about taking it back. The owner of the dealership stated that if I was not happy with the car, I could return it. I felt good about hearing that, but it also led me to believe that they knew something was up with it. No dealer just let's you return a car.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if my car has been in an accident.