Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Rims Needed for Snows Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Scott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rims Needed for Snows Tires

BMWDON,

Tires on the AWD and RWD appear to be the same horizontal distance from the fenders. Since they were close, I didn't measure the track width.

If the RWD RT rims were mounted on the AWD car, the tires might stick out from the fenders.

I noticed in an earlier post that you expressed an interest in lowering your AWD. That might effect tire clearances. It might make sense to lower first, then see which rim / tire combos fit the best.

If you learn something about lowering the AWD, please let me know. I might have an interest. However, I have a complicating factor with the ride leveling rear suspension.

Scott

Old 12-10-2004, 03:55 PM
billapex
Professional

Try Tire Rack. They offer tons of cold weather/snow packages and might have something for you. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

True, TireRack offers lots of good stuff. This doesn't mean they know everything about the car you are wanting to install the products on. The Magnum RT is a point in example. They've been telling poeple that a 17" wheel will fit on the RT when DC says "No Way!!". It won't clear the rotor/caliper assembly addequately so do you REALLY want to rely on their input??

Old 12-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Scott

sikpuppy,

Looks like you & DC Tech are right. I checked the rim / caliper clearance with the standard wheel. It is about 1/2 inch, a practical minimum. Unless some other design rim would provide more clearance, 17 inch wheels seem impossible.

Even with the wonderful discount offered from my local Dodge dealer, I will monitor EBay for a set of original 18 inch wheels from an upgrade. The standard tires are M&S rated and are brand new so they should work well the first Winter. Next year, I may replace the standard tires with three season tires, we will see.

Interesting point from my mechanic. The source of corriosion on bead of alloy rims is the wheel weights. Putting them on / off scraps off the clear epoxy coating and salt can then get at the bare Aluminum. I guess we need to coat the rims after balancing.

thanks for the input.
Scott

Old 12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

Not a problem Scott. Glad to help. I mean, that's what these forums are TRULY for, to help each other, discuss, and solve problems or issues and to educate. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
henry
Rookie

ORIGINAL: BMWDON

So which way is the difference when you see them side by side? I'm not at the dealer right now and can't remember looking at it, but I would guess the RWD was the wider stance? RWD being closer to the nuetural offset to almost negative offset and the AWD having the higher positive offset/narrower track? That sucks, on the dodge website, they claim the same track width. I'm looking at aftermarket rims, they have options of +2, +14, and +27MM offset, I'm guessing the RWD is in the +2 dept and the AWD will be +27MM to fit right. Less dish on the appearance, oh well [:'(]

The track width is identical on both the RWD and AWD cars.
The AWD version has more mechanical bits in the front and the suspension had to be relocaed slightly outboard to make room for the CV joints, half shafts and the revised steering gear. Thus they had to use a higher offset wheel to maintain the track and stance of the car.

Henry

Quick Reply: Rims Needed for Snows Tires