Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

20+ Rims - Tie Rods - Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Hijinx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20+ Rims - Tie Rods - Shimmy

All,
Looking around it looks like this issue has been discussed from time to time on the forum. I recently had my tie rod's replaced and had to replace my 20" aftermarket (came on it) rims with a new set of aftermarket (American Racing) rims due to a shimmy that could not be fixed any other way.

Things are good now, but here is my point; The stock tie rods on the Magnum are not sturdy enough to handle the weight of a 20" rim and tire for more than a few years. I had hoped that the SRT might come with a stronger tie rod since it comes with 20's, but that is not the case. I understand that Dodge is having trouble with them (in stock trim) as well.

I am bringing this up to my local guy and willing to take it to the national service level if I can get a listing of now many of you have had tie rod ends go or have been dealing with a shimmy of some sort.

What I expect, from doing mechanical work for over 25 years, is that this is an issue that is not getting addressed due to the use of aftermarket rims. Dodge will let this go instead of swapping to another tie rod.

Furthermore, I suspect that stock rod ends are probably not strong enough to support this wheel/tire combo and even when new you get enough play in it to cause a slight speed shimmy. Probably not overly noticable at first, but it ramps up over time.

Would love to take them a long list of complaints on the same topic. The cradle shift that has been discussed is fixing the problem at times, but I doubt that it is being done without other adjustments that mask what I suspect is the real problem with the tie rod ends.

Rod

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
CanadaDave
Default RE: 20+ Rims - Tie Rods - Shimmy

It's a shame that my first post has to be a gripe about what is otherwise a great car. Anyway, I have a 2005 SXT, and have had tie-rod ends (52013468AB) replaced at 34184km (right), 39888km (left), and 45912km (right again). I've not noticed a shimmy but got an Eibach Pro Kit installed as the car seemed to wander at speed. Also, I only have 17inch wheels. Many thanks for taking the lead on this. My car is nearly out of warranty, and I'm not paying for OEM replacements. I'm looking for a sturdier part. I've been told that Ontario winters aren't too good on this type of tie-rod end as it is sealed unit, and the severe cold dries out the lubricant. The potholes that the frost leaves on the roads doesn't help either. Like you, I also feel that mechanically, the design is just not up to the job.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
sikpuppy
Professional

I, too, have a sever shimmy that started at about 20k miles, took to dealership, they stated no problems could be found. I have not replaced anything yet and now have 30k miles on the clock. Shimmy continually getting worse. Rotated tires, etc, took to dealership, test drive, says, they don't see anything wrong. Taking to independant shop to inspect tie-rod ends, rotors, check trueness of wheel and tires, and then take results back to dealership along with my attorney to see what they will have to say at that point. Very unhappy about the shimmy as it has become quite dangerous and I will not let the wife drive it as is anymore. If this doesn't work for me and it does prove to be tie-rod ends, count me in on a class action suit against DC for not stepping up and accepting this for what it is, poor engineering.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
bobschm

2005 5.7 RT with stock wheels and tires. Had a mild shimmy at 30K milesthat became severe at about 32K miles. Front rotors were warped. Aftermarket replacementrotors and padsall around and things smoothed out. At 50K miles now and noticing a front end rattle when traversing gentle bumps at slow speed. Very minor play in the front end so I'm probably looking at tie rods loosening.
In all fairness, I have warped OEM rotors on the last three cars I've owned. (I don't drive like my Mom.)[sm=gears.gif] Never warped an aftermarket rotor. I'd love to find aftermarket front end components that are beefier. I'll check back if I find anything, and to see if any of you found anything better than what Dodge chose.

Boston Bob

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Mag4u

I have had the same problem with my car.. 07 Black Mag.. I had a set of BOSS 304 22" whels on it and decided to get a new set of HOYO H3 wheels.. aftre the switch, I noticed a shimmy of the wheel @ about 60mph... it seems once I hit 70+ it dies down but for me to make a problem go away by going faster concerns me. I have had my tires remount and balanced and the problem still persists. So, I guess I'm going to go get my tie rods checked and see if thats the problem. I also know for a fact that the wheels I have now are heavier than the last set, so maybe that might be a small issue also. I have a friend of mine who has 24"s on he has no problems at all so I guess it's just the car.... Thanks guys n gals!

Quick Reply: 20+ Rims - Tie Rods - Shimmy