Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

The wait is over!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 PM
MattRobertson
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The wait is over!

Yep you and I saw the same Magnum. Armadillo ought to talk to Zinik about getting some commission or something as those pics he posted have directly accounted for two sales, at least :-)

Your Magnum has absolutely the perfect look as far as I'm concerned. But I am going to stick with the 18's. I just don't want to sacrifice ride and long-term economy to get that look. That'll let me leave those crummy Conti's on there and get the tire burning out of my system before I put on some decent tires.

May be my first practical decision since deciding to buy this car

Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 PM
armadillo
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MattRobertson

Yep you and I saw the same Magnum. Armadillo ought to talk to Zinik about getting some commission or something as those pics he posted have directly accounted for two sales, at least :-)
Fat chance on the commision, but you guys do have great taste in wheels![sm=exactly.gif]
and of course great taste in cars!!!

Old 12-30-2004, 12:04 AM
RcBandit28
Captain

VERY nice ride. That Brillant Black is one sweet color! I think it's true, the R/Ts are back-logged because of the demand for the HEMI. Since it is in so many different models.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:09 AM
Wash n Wax

ORIGINAL: BMWDON

actually, doing the math, you've only lost 3/10 of an inch less on sidewall with 265/45-20's, since the stock 225/60-18's are 28" in overall diameter, and your new 265/45-20's are 29.4" in overall diameter, that's 5" of sidewall for the OEM size, and 4.7" for your new setup.
When I calculated it, I had the stock wheel and tire diameter at 28.6 inches, not 28. That is why I said about 3/4 of an inch. While there are certainly variations in tire sizes, I was calculating the 225/60 as having a 135 mm sidewall (5.3 inch) and the 265/45 as having a 119.25 mm sidewall (4.7 inch). I haven't actually measured the tires in the real world, but I use this tire calculator to check my numbers:

Tire Size Calculator

Got any rubbing with the 265's? I am thinking 275/35's on the rear with 20x9.5" rims, and 245/40's in the front on 20x8's. The outer diameters will be 27.7 front and 27.6 rears....should keep the odometer fairly close to stock, with a minor loss in ride comfort for the lower profile tires.
No rubbing yet. There looks like there is lots of room to spare which is why I am considering the drop. I am going to look at the fronts more closely with the steering wheel turned completely from one side to the other just to be sure.

I was seriously thinking about black....it's a wicked nice looking color when clean and polished up!!!
All of my cars have been black since 1989. Of course that may have to do with the fact that I have been in the car wash business since 1988!

Your Magnum has absolutely the perfect look as far as I'm concerned.
The funny thing is that I think Armadillo's Magnum is the perfect look. I'm just scared that my 40 year old butt will never forgive me on a 40 series tire. I drive 150 miles round trip twice a week to one of my businesses and my chiropractor isn't cheap! Now, I may be getting old, but I think that even the stock ride in the Magnum is closer to an SUV than a car, so I need to tread lightly...

I am going to stick with the 18's. I just don't want to sacrifice ride and long-term economy to get that look. That'll let me leave those crummy Conti's on there and get the tire burning out of my system before I put on some decent tires.

May be my first practical decision since deciding to buy this car
Actually, you are probably right about the economy issue. I drove about 300 miles last week almost exclusively on California freeways and I got only 19 MPG. So I think my wheel and tire combo has reduced my MPG by 2 or 3 based on the mileage figures some of the other Hemi RT guys have been posting.

ORIGINAL: armadillo

You guys do have great taste in wheels!
A big thank you once again for posting that picture. I was looking at many different wheels at that time and that picture made up my mind in a second. Once all 3 cars are done we should post pictures together showing the same wheel with slightly different looks on the same car!

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 AM
BMWDON
Rookie

You could be right on the outer diameter on the stock tires, I used tirerack.com and looked up the conti's specs, listed 28" as the stock size outer diameter, I haven't actually taken a tape measure to find out for myself.....just lazy I guess!

Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

So at the end of the day yesterday I grab my cell and get my messages... It was the tire guys saying my wheels were in... 48 hrs after ordering instead of 3 weeks. Turns out they had a set in stock that were drilled properly.

I went down and they are Bee-yootiful. We hauled one out of the box and, compared to all of the other chrome wheels in the shop they were just visually stunning. A chrome so deep and shiny it had almost blue-ish tinge to it. Made the other wheels look just plain cheap. I haven't seen a chrome like this except on aftermarket triple-chromed Porsche wheels. Dam shame I don't have a Magnum to put them on yet.

While I was there we talked replacement tires. Showed me the new Kumho ATX ZR-rated tires and my I was impressed. An aggressive asymmetrical tread that looks like it would handle water and maybe even snow well. Didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't verify the sales guy's claim of treadwear rating over 100. The tread *felt* relatively soft and responsive So I'll be needing the specs next time I go there. Of the sizes available there's one (I forget which now) that will add about an inch of width to the rubber on the road, which I like.

The ATX is supposed to be brand-new, and it must be. Not even the Kumho web site mentions it, but I saw the tire. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 12-30-2004, 02:05 PM
darkrt
Professional

Go here for a great tire size caculator. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM
armadillo
Rookie

So at the end of the day yesterday I grab my cell and get my messages... It was the tire guys saying my wheels were in... 48 hrs after ordering instead of 3 weeks. Turns out they had a set in stock that were drilled properly.

I went down and they are Bee-yootiful. We hauled one out of the box and, compared to all of the other chrome wheels in the shop they were just visually stunning. A chrome so deep and shiny it had almost blue-ish tinge to it. Made the other wheels look just plain cheap. I haven't seen a chrome like this except on aftermarket triple-chromed Porsche wheels. Dam shame I don't have a Magnum to put them on yet.

While I was there we talked replacement tires. Showed me the new Kumho ATX ZR-rated tires and my I was impressed. An aggressive asymmetrical tread that looks like it would handle water and maybe even snow well. Didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't verify the sales guy's claim of treadwear rating over 100. The tread *felt* relatively soft and responsive So I'll be needing the specs next time I go there. Of the sizes available there's one (I forget which now) that will add about an inch of width to the rubber on the road, which I like.

The ATX is supposed to be brand-new, and it must be. Not even the Kumho web site mentions it, but I saw the tire. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Matt, the ATX name was a Firestone name for that tire that caused them so much trouble on the SUV's shredding and causing many accidents. Don't think Kumho would use that name, however they make an excellent "ultra high performance" tire line called ECSTA could that be it? If so great tire with long treadwear on my set on a Tundra "work truck" I have. John

Old 12-30-2004, 10:24 PM
DakotaRT2K
Rookie

Awesome!! I hope the car is worth the wait, I'm sure it is though. Two months in on my wait, hope it doesnt taje quite as long as yours.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 PM
MattRobertson
Professional

ORIGINAL: armadillo
Matt, the ATX name was a Firestone name
Yeah I found the same thing when I went home that day and googled it. I wrote it down at the shop and everything. If I had my blasted glasses I could have seen a lot more. Kumho calls most everything 'Ecsta-something' The closest thing I saw to the tire I had my hands on was MAYBE the Ecsta MX, but it just doesn't look quite right on the web. And it sure ain't ZR-rated. I'm going by there in a few days so I'll stop in -- with my glasses on -- and settle this, cuz what I saw and what I'm seeing on the web is just not adding up.

Hmmm. I see earlier I mentioned a treadwear rating of 100 originally. I think I have bicycle tires that beat that. I meant 400.

Quick Reply: The wait is over!