Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

New guy with a Magnum RT with a howling 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
greezmag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a Magnum RT with a howling 3rd gear

Hello my name is Justin Slingsby and I just purchased my first Magnum. I picked up an 05 Magnum RT about 2 weeks ago. The car is in pretty good shape externally but the interior was a little dinged up. I think the guy that had it before me owned a pizza joint as I have found a couple of reciepts for groceries to a pizza joint here in the suburbs of Minneapolis. Anyways I really dig the car. I do a lot of car shows where I sell my art so having a vehicle that can transport my artwork is nice. Oh and the fact that the mentioned vehicle has a Hemi makes it an even better perk! I have always been a MoPar fan and have owned a 1995 Dodge Dakota short box short cab with the 318 and a 5 speed that I drove the pants off of and enjoyed every minute of it. The truck had seen both coasts and still had a shiny black paint job.

My favorite MoPar is my 1950 Plymouth Business Coupe that I have made into a traditional styled mild custom. It has the original straight six in it that I have modified with period correct speed parts. I am glad to ad the Magnum to my short list of MoPar vehicles but just last night I noticed a transmission whine in third gear. It shows under acceleration just as I shift the autostick to 3rd. It is a whine that almost sounds like driving on concrete. I am taking it in today for further inspection.

Any ideas on what the noise is?

Thanks I look forward to being here!

Justin

Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
greezmag
Default RE: New guy with a Magnum RT with a howling 3rd gear

Okay I have some more symptoms of my transmission howl. It only happens if the car is moving and I have downshifted into either 2nd or 3rd. The noise shows up around 30 and will go to 60mph if I hold third gear out that long. It is a howling noise. The tech at the Dodge dealership is telling me it is a steering pump problem but if I get the car to make the noise and steer lightly in both directions the noise doesn't fade. Plus my reservoir isn't low. So far the noise only shows if the car is up to temp. I was told this is a Mercedes transmission. Any more info or fault information on this transmission would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Greez Mag,
I had a whine in my Transmission at about 65,000 miles or so. Was told it was the O-Ring TSB at first, they filled up the Transmission and gave it back to me. Then it vibrated... Told me they replaced some clutches and gave it back to me. Happened again. Same fix, clutches. Now with 960 Miles above my Warranty, it is happening again. So, I don't have a definite answer yet, but don't let your trasmission get as bad as mine without service. I will let you know when I get the car fixed. Anyone else had a Transmission problem like this?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:51 PM
greezmag

Aw yuck that sounds horrible. The car goes in tomorrow. I hope this isn't going to be bad. I am reading so much bad stuff on this transmission it makes me wonder if I picked a bad apple. I will keep ya posted.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:30 PM
2005 Magnum R/T Hemi
Captain

Greez Mag,
I don't thinkwe have a Bad Apple or anything. I think this car was put together very well. I didn't have any problems with the Transmission until the New Engine... Both of which were caused by Driver Caused Conditions. I drive it rough, like it should be. I am not looking for a Bullet Proof drive train. I would have done the same thing to any other car I bought. I am just looking for some answers by others that may have had similar issues, but none have responded beyond the O-Ring fix. That alone tells me there is no massive problems with these transmissions. Let me know what your fix was!

Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM
greezmag

I will keep ya posted. I brought the car in this morning. I have no leaks I just have the 2nd & 3rd gear howl when I shift it through the auto-stick. I haven't tried to emulate the noise in just the "drive" option yet. I bought the car used with 44,000 on it.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
greezmag

Well I just got a call from the dealership. Seems there is a problem. The car is covered by its original factory warranty so the work is being taken care of through the dealer but, I am left without a car this weekend so it must be something extensive. My newest gripe is that since the car is still covered under factory warranty they are not honoring my extended warranty that is supposed to entitle me to a rental car. So here we go trying to get this figured out as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
greezmag

So I finally am in the clear of transmission problems. The problems stemmed from leaking o-rings on the sensor that goes into the transmission on the passenger side of the car. Seems I had leaked out a majority of the trans fluid and the howling was the transmission running way too low and being poorly lubricated. So I burned up most of the innards of the transmission. $100 later and a week behind the wheel of a G6 renta car (yuck) I have my Magnum back. Man I missed it. However not a week later my thermostat went out. So now I have a new transmission and a new thermostat and now the rear drivers window is not going down. Neither switch will activate it and I do not have the child lock on.. Anybody have this problem as well?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
hostler_captain

Hey greezmag.
I have had both of my rear window actuators replaced only a couple of months apart. If I remember right it was only about a year old when I had them done.

Quick Reply: New guy with a Magnum RT with a howling 3rd gear