Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Annoying rattle in dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle in dash

Anyone have/having a problem with an annoying rattle in the dash? Sounds like an old crank window that is rubbing the weatherstip (best way I know to describe the sound). The retards at the stealership have had the car twice and have added clips and claimed they found a loose piece in the dash but the noise will not go away. I am about ready to get rid of the car as I see the same pathetic build quality that was done on my 98 Ram. I really thought Mopar got their **** together with this being that it was designed by the German side, but I was wrong. That's just one of the problems I have had already with a car that has 13400 miles and been on the road for 15 months. I recommend to everyone to check their tranny lines/connections as mine already had to have the o-ring seal replaced.

thanks for any insight

Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM
sokwik
Default RE: Annoying rattle in dash

Check the hood alignment bolts. If you push down slightly at the top corners of your hood, you may hear it. The bolt heads are probably rubbing against the metal stopper, just back them off a bit or stick on a little piece of foam between the bolt and stopper.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Fastmopar

I have the same rattle. Developed at about 40,000 miles. Sounds kind of like a dash bulb out of the socket, or a radio mounting screww loose.
My question is, why get rid of the car over a rattle? I have driven Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus, and BMW straight off the lot on test drives that had rattles, poor fit and finish on the interior pieces, paint belmishes, and poorly fitted sheet metal.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Wile C
Professional

Was in a bad mood when I wrote the thing. I am still ticked that a $30+ thousand dollar car rattles. Unfortunately, we as consumers have to deal with poor build. I think the tranny issue is inexcusable. Mopar has always had problems with transmissions....like I said I was fooled thinking that the German side of the company was any better. I have regretted selling my 99 Taurus Wagon w/115k on it...ran perfectly, smooth idle and no leaks...aside from a small place on the oil pan gasket. I bought a 98 Ram back in 97 and had to have most everything replaced..yet Dodge is still in business. Took me 5 years to work out the manufacturing bugs. I evn got Chrysler to fix things long after the 3/36 warranty expired w/out charging me...I guess they knew their poor manufacturing issues.

It's a nice car and I like it...just disappointed that a car w/12k on it has already been in the shop twice and the problem not fixed. They did get the transmission leak fixed and "supposedly" topped it off..but being that there is no tranny dipstick, I'll have to take their word on it that they did.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 PM
rgdawson

I had a rattle in mine. Took it in the shop. They claim they found some loose stuff and fixed it, but the rattle remained. Once I figured out how to reproduce the rattle at slow speeds I figured it out and fixed it. In my case, it was the rear seat latches...where the top back of the seat latches/unlathces. When latched its just metal on metal and not tight. They just rattled, especially when the car would flex like turing into a driveway over the small curb one wheel at a time. I fixed it by wrapping the metal with some athletic tape. No more rattle.[/align][/align]I know how you feel, I was really ticked off about it until I solved it. I hate rattles.[/align]

Old 01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
joemagee
Default Dash rattle

Our dash rattle was solved by removing the panel that covers the A pillar and then plastic dash cover that goes over the speakers in the dash... the screws were loose on the speaker. Tightened those and no more rattle.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Maggie 188
Default Rattle in Dash

I have two such rattles. One I have figured out is near the passenger front speaker way up on the dash. Once better weather hits I'll pull the glovebox and see if I can access. The second is in the middle almost centerline to where the dash vinyl meets the metal abutting the hood. If I push real hard on the vinyl just above the dual center vents the rattle goes away for a week or so, depending on how crappy the streets are. My local Dodge dealer said it was better to find a way to live with it than to pull the whole dash apart to try to isolate. My favorite local body shop said the same. I think I'm gonna take the silver trim over the vents/radio/navigation pod off this summer and see what is going on in there.

Quick Reply: Annoying rattle in dash